Backcountry Grill

Tag_Soup

WKR
Anyone have any lightweight options for a grill made to be used over open coals? I have done spit roasting and tried the grilling on a rock thing, but would love an option to have fresh backstrap grilled over an open campfire! Hoping sub 8oz all in.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Purcell Trench has been fantastic for us over the last couple of seasons. They make several models including sub 8 oz offerings. I have the streamside voyager and honestly, I want for nothing in a backcountry grill. That said, my wife gives me sh!t regularly over what I paid for it. Lol. I'd buy another from them in a heartbeat if this one ever disappeared.

I've been carrying a Purcell Trench "Streamside Packer" at approx. 4 ounces. The Streamside Voyageur that PNW has is the Cadillac. I went with the smaller dimensions because I also carry mine as a sheet between bikini frame stays allowing more ventilation for my back while packing.

I have a wire rack that is for a toaster oven or something it was like $5 for 2 of them at the grocery store and it weights just over 5oz.

Its a little smaller than and 8.5"x11" sheet of paper and packs flat against the frame of my pack.

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
Thanks so much guys! Those Prucell Grills look like they will fit the bill perfectly! Now I just need to find some mattress money so my wife doesn't shoot me for spending that much on a few ounces of tubing! lmao.

Owenst7

WKR
You could probably weave some stainless bailing wire in to a grid that would work well if you added some support with rocks or wet saplings. A Jacobs ladder would probably work well if you pulled the four a corners tight and pinned them under a rock or wrapped them around a stick stuck in the ground. The number of uses for bailing wire to repair gear is just about endless too.

Jason t

FNG
I've always packed an old Weber grill not the entire grill just the wire part. some well placed rocks and you are good to go

I took one off of an old Coleman grill that didn’t work anymore. I don’t know how much it weighs, but it’s light.

boom

WKR
I have a wire rack that is for a toaster oven or something it was like $5 for 2 of them at the grocery store and it weights just over 5oz.

Its a little smaller than and 8.5"x11" sheet of paper and packs flat against the frame of my pack.

i like this!!

my friend pulled out a tiny rectangle. he said it was off some japanese grill. it was in a grid pattern, not the typical straight bar run. it was superlight. he wrapped foil around it so he could use the foil later.

boom

WKR
Purcell Trench has been fantastic for us over the last couple of seasons. They make several models including sub 8 oz offerings. I have the streamside voyager and honestly, I want for nothing in a backcountry grill. That said, my wife gives me sh!t regularly over what I paid for it. Lol. I'd buy another from them in a heartbeat if this one ever disappeared.

damn you. that Purcell is nice!! wish i didnt see it tho..

this is what my buddy had. $3.80!!95000__78569.1466628608.1280.1280.jpg

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
Can that Ruta Locura grill really be 1.15 oz for $35, that's insane. Anyone actually have one that they can confirm?

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
I've done the same thing as mentioned above with the toaster racks, also, cookie warming racks can be cut down to size.

Just saw this the other day as well
Titanium Grill

Last edited: