Breakfast when truck camping??

Im not a huge fan of oats. What do you guys do when truck camping and weight isnt a big deal?? I was thinking of bringing some eggs and just making some eggs and bacon?? It doesnt take 5 min to scramble eggs?? Anyone have any other quick Ideas??

Owenst7

WKR
I crack eggs at home and pour them in to a disposable water bottle and add some spices, shredded cheese, whatever I feel like. You can freeze the bottle and it won't change the texture or anything once you cook them. Just make sure you shake the bottle up before you pour some in to a hot skillet to mix everything back up.

I cut my bacon up in to ~3" strips and organize it in small ziplocks that are the serving size I'll want. Makes it way easier to just be able to squeeze the bacon out on to the skillet and not have to clean up your hands after.

I like cans of corned beef hash and roast beef hash. Many people don't haha.

If I'm not in a hurry, I like to fry some bacon, then dump pre-diced potatoes with chopped sweet onion in the skillet and fry it in the grease. Shredded hash browns cook a little faster.

I really like "Kodiak Cakes" pancake mix. It has a ton of protein in it per serving. I tried a bunch of different mixes, and this one was the most forgiving on how you mix the batter, skillet temp, cooking time, etc. Bonus is you only have to add water. They are really good if you fry them in some kind of fat (butter and bacon fat are my favorite), but they will cook well on their own too if you're a little more careful. I buy the big boxes from Costco or Sam's, but Target sells small boxes if you want to try them out.

Whenever I'm going to be driving for long periods of time, I wrap burritos in heavy aluminum foil and cook them on my intake manifold. I've done pre-cooked pork chops this way before and they were the perfect temperature even after sitting on the engine of my rock crawler for several hours while we broke trail over a mountain in deep snow.

Dinger

WKR
Thick slice raisin toast smoothered in real butter and a fresh expresso coffee in camp is a treat......seems to get people out of the fart sack real fast.

We put a dozen eggs minus shells in a freezer style ziplock bag, freeze them, then thaw and scramble them with bacon or sausage and cheese if base camping on fly-in hunts. Pretty much like Owenst7 does. Serves 3 or 4 of us and quick and easy.

Truck camping I don't bother with the bagging and freezing, just keep them in the shells in a cooler.

elkyinzer

WKR
Buckwheat sourdough pancakes and a couple eggs are my truck camping breakfast of choice. Not that I ever have time to do that on hunting trips, then it's just usually granola/muffin/clif bar type stuff. But fishing trips I bring my griddle along and go all out.

Eagle

WKR
Never tried it, but I've heard freezer bag omelets work very well. Make ahead of time, put whatever ingredients you want in your omelet in the freezer bag with your scrambled uncooked eggs, and then when ready to eat, drop into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes until cooked.

Brendan

WKR
Mountain House Granola or Heather's Choice Buckwheat, then my morning Protein / Hydrate & Recover / Energy & Focus mix. Probars for on the go.

Basically - I try sleep as much as i can, then get up and get hunting well before it gets light. I can eat a big breakfast when I'm home.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Finally, someone that suffers from the same thing as me! Makes intermittent fasting much easier though.

I could go all day without eating while archery elk hunting. Sometimes I do, I get tunnel vision and busy with the elk and next thing I know it's dinner time. Last year I shot my bull around 0730 and didn't finish packing it out until about 5:30pm. I didn't eat at all that day, and was too tired to eat when I got back to camp that night. Next morning just coffee, then packed up camp in the rain and got on the road. Didn't stop for lunch until about 2pm. Probably why I lose 15-20lbs every September.

desertcj

WKR
I understand the alure of spoiling yourself while truck camping. Personally, I'm in the group of no breakfast. On the mountain or next to my truck doesn't matter. Maybe a cliff bar or a breakfast horn if I am feeling hungry. I think mostly, I just don't like to mess with cooking in the morning when I'm jazzed about hunting and ready to go.

Ill premake breakfast bagels and then vac seal, freeze, and keep them frozen... put them in a boiling pot and theyll reheat in 10 minutes. Great breakfast and no clean up

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Oatmeal and pre made breakfast burritos are the #1's for me but if I have the time I'll make some sausage gravy in advance.

Clif bar or instant oatmeal. Greek yogurt. Maybe a bagel and cream cheese. We usually just make coffee and boil some water if we are doing the truck thing. Easy clean up.

When with family, my group doesn't eat breakfast so I just boil water for coffee, and honestly, I like the Mountain house egg stuff, so I'll just heat enough water for that and that is breakfast.

elkyinzer

WKR
Ain't mornings funny...

Work days I usually have to hit snooze 2-3 times, drink two cups of coffee, peruse rokslide on the throne for a bit, and if I am lucky my brain is working at 50% capacity by 7 AM.

Hunting, I am out of bed, pop a no-doz, chug some water, grab a granola bar to go and I am out the door feeling like a million bucks at 4 in the morning.

If someone can explain to me how the brain chemistry of that works, I would appreciate it.