Breakfast when truck camping??

I used to be able to get up, dress, and out the door as fast as I could to maximize sleep time. Now I'm not going anywhere without a really strong cup of coffee and food in furnace.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hunting, I am out of bed, pop a no-doz, chug some water, grab a granola bar to go and I am out the door feeling like a million bucks at 4 in the morning.

If someone can explain to me how the brain chemistry of that works, I would appreciate it.

Wait until day 10 of an elk hunt where you've hiked 10+ hard miles each day, and see how ready you are to get up, get going, and if you feel like a million bucks.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Well, being as I've definitely got a cooler in the truck, sometimes two coolers if I've feeling optimistic, I've always got bacons eggs and cooking gear. But I rarely get into it.

Most mornings I'd rather be sleeping than eating/preparing food and I'd rather be hunting than sleeping, so if I'm real hungry I'll open a can of xyz, ravioli etc, and eat it out of the can, or maybe heat it up. But usually I just throw two extra pro-bars in my pocket and some extra jerky and gorp and eat my breakfast while I'm moving.

Still, since you'll def have a cooler on board to pack your animal out, no reason to not bring bacon, eggs, sausage, an onion, some tortillas for a sausage wrap, etc. But for me, I end up maybe eating a real breakfast on day 6 when I'm worn the hell out and decide to sleep in for one morning and only hunt the mid day and night.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I am fairly partial to pre-making burritos and wrapping them in foil. If you are ambitious, heat them in a skillet or directly over the stove and dip them in sour cream and/or salsa. If you want to sleep a little more, bang one out cold on the trail. Either way it's pretty easy and you can have it all prepped at home. I don't think I would do it for anything beyond a 5 day though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
if it takes me longer to make it than to eat it i don't do it. wake up, get dressed, eat bowl of cereal and wash down with a cup of tea. it's just the nature of hunting and fishing; the best times for it coincide with meal times. cooking or hunting? the choice is easy.

I don't eat much in the am either. Jacks me up. I usually won't eat much throughout the day either. Then I have a solid dinner.

Felix40

WKR
Pre made breakfast burritos is easy and no mess. Monster is a go to for me as well when truck camping.

KJH

WKR
Make up some breakfast burritos at home... whatever way you do it. Wrap them tight. Freeze them. Once their froze solid, vacuum seal them and refreeze. Take them in your cooler and they will defrost over time. Once you're camping, just boil some water and then turn off the stove. Toss in the burrito while the water pot is cooling and in 7-10 minutes you have a hot burrito ready to eat.

I crack eggs at home and pour them in to a disposable water bottle and add some spices, shredded cheese, whatever I feel like. You can freeze the bottle and it won't change the texture or anything once you cook them. Just make sure you shake the bottle up before you pour some in to a hot skillet to mix everything back up.

I cut my bacon up in to ~3" strips and organize it in small ziplocks that are the serving size I'll want. Makes it way easier to just be able to squeeze the bacon out on to the skillet and not have to clean up your hands after.

I like cans of corned beef hash and roast beef hash. Many people don't haha.

If I'm not in a hurry, I like to fry some bacon, then dump pre-diced potatoes with chopped sweet onion in the skillet and fry it in the grease. Shredded hash browns cook a little faster.

I really like "Kodiak Cakes" pancake mix. It has a ton of protein in it per serving. I tried a bunch of different mixes, and this one was the most forgiving on how you mix the batter, skillet temp, cooking time, etc. Bonus is you only have to add water. They are really good if you fry them in some kind of fat (butter and bacon fat are my favorite), but they will cook well on their own too if you're a little more careful. I buy the big boxes from Costco or Sam's, but Target sells small boxes if you want to try them out.

Whenever I'm going to be driving for long periods of time, I wrap burritos in heavy aluminum foil and cook them on my intake manifold. I've done pre-cooked pork chops this way before and they were the perfect temperature even after sitting on the engine of my rock crawler for several hours while we broke trail over a mountain in deep snow.

Are Kodiak Cakes hunter-friendly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
Another for premade breakfast burritos. If I don't eat (even if not real hungry), I start getting hungry right at the prime time just after shooting light. And coffee is a given no matter where I hunt.
It does remind me of a bonzai 3 day hunt that a friend and I made in my early 20's. His girlfriend and later wife was Hispanic. She made us some beef and bean burritos old school style. Made the beans from scratch and slow cooked them for a day or so with the chunks of meat and spices. We took them and some tomato and apple juice( to keep us regular) and not much else. We slept on the ground outside of the Jeep and ate burritos for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate them warmed, cold and finally to break up the monotony, we pan fried them in butter and washed it down with the apple juice. Can you say terminal gas! Made Blazing Saddles look like light weights. Could sneak up on a thing.

manitou1

WKR
Pre made breakfast burritos. I hunt too hard to be in the mood for cooking breakfast.
I also sometimes take the individual Spam packets and mayo, slap them on a tortilla with a couple slices of bacon (that I bring pre cooked) and it makes a quick breakfast.
Sometimes ramen with chopped green onions and I crack an egg in it. I dehydrate the green onions and pack them in a shaker. Quick and easy.

reaper

WKR
Ain't mornings funny...

Work days I usually have to hit snooze 2-3 times, drink two cups of coffee, peruse rokslide on the throne for a bit, and if I am lucky my brain is working at 50% capacity by 7 AM.

Hunting, I am out of bed, pop a no-doz, chug some water, grab a granola bar to go and I am out the door feeling like a million bucks at 4 in the morning.

If someone can explain to me how the brain chemistry of that works, I would appreciate it.
hahaha haaaa man you've just described it all.

jfs82

WKR
I do similar to breakfast burritos, just not in burrito form.... I do potato, onion, pancetta, peppers in egg, baked into a big thick sheet then just put it on and under some barely going coals to reheat. Or just eat it cold if Im by myself

Egg beaters work best. No egg shells and easier to pack and keep.

I do both freeze dried meals and homemade

Mike 338

WKR
Oatmeal just makes me hungry a couple hours later. I try not to make the whole food thing the center of my outdoor life although I do like to eat. Some form of scrambled eggs along with a canned meat like Spam + seasoning/hot sauce hits the spot. It digests easily so you don't get that blah feeling. Chase it with some yogurt or cottage cheese and maybe a big hunk of deli bread/butter and you'll be mostly good till late afternoon. Tank up on liquids during breakfast. Single small fry pan that cleans up easily and your out'a there in just a few minutes. With powdered eggs & packaged Spam, it converts easily to spike camp too.

Mosby

WKR
Bought one of these for some of my hunting and scouting trips. Great for burritos and really anything wrapped in aluminum foil. Heats my food while I am driving and normally ready to eat when I pull over. Truckers have been using them for years. Big time saver for me when I don't have time to cook but want something hot to eat.

Attachments

• roadpro-rv-accessories-rpsc-197-64_1000.jpg
    roadpro-rv-accessories-rpsc-197-64_1000.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 85

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
Yup I'm a fan of breakfast burritos or breakfast frittata freeze then vac seal we use a crab cooker at camp one of us fires it up and starts coffee in 10/15 you have a great hot meal ( we do all of our meals like this no clean up/dishes ) spaghetti, meat loaf , BBQ kabobs pretty much any leftovers,also I pick up a papa Murphy stuffed pizza with no cheese on the top layer bake and cool then vac seal make a good lunch cold or I've been known to have for breakfast 😜