Why can't I find Mountain House Chicken a la King pouches?

Finch

WKR
So I've heard great things about this particular meal but no one carries it in the bag. It seems MH has discontinued the pouch version. If I bought a can, is there a way to preserve the remainder? I'm wanting to try it but not eat it for dinner every night of my 8 day hunt. What would I "cook" it in since it won't be in it's own pouch (besides reusing an old pouch)?

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I liked that one. You can portion your own and use quart sized freezer bags. Use the freezer bags as they are thicker to deal with the hot water. I may be wrong but I believe if you vacuum sealed the remainder and put it in your freezer, it should last quite a while.

Also, when you heat your meal in the ziploc, you'll want something to hold it in. Look up the DIY reflectix coozies as they are simple to make. Another options would be to just put the ziploc in an already used pouch. Since I typically carry the pouches out, I always have some to use.

If you want to go the Reflectix route, shoot me your address as I have some extra material still lying around and I could probably make one up for you.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Good idea on the vacuum sealing and freezing - I may just go that route. I'll take you up on that reflectix coozie. PM coming your way!

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
I go with the Ziplocs, and haven't had any issues. I have used old mh bags to keep them warm, but now I just pour in the hot water, and let it sit.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Sucks it's discontinued as I thought it was a good one. Good thing I bought a case last year.;)

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Well there is a new development. :) I just called Mountain House because this has been bothering me as I was really looking forward to trying this meal on my upcoming hunt. They have renamed the chicken a la king to Homestyle chicken noodle casserole. Nothing changed but the name.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk