Macaroons

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Had some Lees bars traveling and I know heathers choice does variations of macaroons, I decided to give some a go DIY. I looked around at various raw macaroon recipes and decided to blend a couple of them.

1 bag bobs redmill coconut flakes (~5c) [or 2c shredded coconut and 1c coconut butter (NOT COCONUT OIL!)]
3/4c agave nectar [can use honey, maple or date syrup (3/4c dates blended with 3/4c water)]
2t vanilla extract
1/4t salt
3/4c almond flour

I have 3 variations going: plain, blueberry (add 1/3c puree fruit), and cocoa blueberry (added 1/3c puree fruit + 2T cocoa).

1) Put about half the coconut in food processor and blend for a half minute to make it finely shredded, set 2c aside.
2) Add the rest of the coconut and shred for ~10min which will turn it into a fine particle paste called coconut butter.
3) Dump into a bowl and mix in salt, vanilla, and agave (or whatever you are using) and almond flour. Once well mixed add back in the 2c of coconut you remembered to set aside (;)) and mix that in well.
4) Form into balls or pucks (I tried using a 1/4c to meter them out. If I continue to make these I likely will get a cookie dough spoon to drop them out easier).
5) Dehydrate till dry on outside.

Using the 1/4c a batch made 14 which calculates per a nutrition calculator as: 277cal, 21g carb/16g sugar, 16g fat, 4g protein. So a morning/midday fuel source when you'll burn off that sugar.

My house spells like waffle cones right now:
DgrQaV1l.jpg

Last edited:
OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Update, I pulled them all off after ~36hr (minus a few that had gotten snacked on over the last day...). I was running them longer to try and get a pretty firm shell formed which they seem to have done (once allowed to cool down) so ideally they'll survive better in a pack. The shell has a little crunch to it now while the insides still are softer.

I was doing a 2.5 hr workout yesterday and grabbed one of these and some water after a 1.5mi pack hauling session before tackling the next hour, it helped put some energy back in me.

They are definitely calorie dense that is for dang sure.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just edit'd the recipe, noticed I forgot to note the almond flour I had added. Sorry if anyone made the original and it was runny or such.

KBC

WKR
Would these work with regular flour or is there another type of flour that would be better? I'm allergic to nuts so I don't know anything about almond flour. This might be the first time I'm looking for an alternative ingredient for something that is an alternative ingredient :confused:

I have used oat flour with good results. May be a good alternative for the nut flour for you. Regular flour works too, it just changes the texture a little.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The almond flour I added for some protein content, I don't think you actually need to have any flour in there (some recipes didn't). Could experiment with a protein powder added instead for the same effect. Other wise without the almond flour be aware its just fat/sugar.

BigDog00

WKR
I've used a similar recipe a lot and think they taste just like Heathers Choice. These things are like crack and can be really addicting.

Ingredients
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup almond flour, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Roll into desired shape (about 1 tablespoon or bigger if desired)
- Store in an air tight container and refrigerate