5 Favorite foods in the backcountry?

muddydogs

WKR
I don't really care what you do and don't want to argue about it as well. There's no laws that I know of saying what you can and can't burn in a camp fire. There are some study's done about campfire pits and just how polluted they are but most of these are campground pits that see a lot of use. I for one wouldn't throw plastic in my stove but that's just because I don't want to smell it burn and I don't know if the burning plastic residue would cause problems coating the inside of the stove or not.

desertcj

WKR
It's really not a big deal to haul out a zip lock full of wrappers and packaging. You hauled it all in when it was full of food? Empty, they compact down to nothing and weigh very little as well.

Lets be real. A person might seemingly burn plastic up completely in a fire. But if you think it's completely burned and gone, then stick your nose on at the end of the stove pipe and take a few deep breaths.

With that said, I think your producing more toxins driving to your hunting location and back home, then burning the trash. As such, I'm not invested in this one way or the other.

FlyGuy

WKR
It's really not a big deal to haul out a zip lock full of wrappers and packaging. You hauled it all in when it was full of food? Empty, they compact down to nothing and weigh very little as well.
No, it's not a big deal to pack it out. But what is the point? It's just bearbait at that point and stupid to hang onto trash when I can burn it into nothing. I don't buy into "toxins" being released into the soil. Somebody show me evidence or an actual study. Even if there were teeny-tiny sand grain sized pieces of melted plastic left behind, that doesn't mean it's "contaminated with toxins". Grass will still grow. Seeds will still germinate. If you feel differently, then by all means pack yours out.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Well this thread got derailed.

What online retailers are best to buy Erin Baker Cookies/Pro bars/Justin PB?

FlyGuy

WKR
What's the point? To not be selfish and lazy, and to do your part to keep our public lands clean and wild.

That's ridiculous. How am I being selfish or lazy? As I said before, I'm burning my trash INSIDE MY STOVE. No "Toxins" will ever reach the soil. Everything is still plenty free and wild just like it was before I got there. No charred beer, tuna, sardine or vienna sausage cans left behind in the firepit for someone else to deal with.

Sorry for the derail, trying to get this back on track.

NDGuy, I ordered mine from Amazon.

Brightwhite - I oven baked my bacon last year pre-hunt, made up the BH sandwiches, froze them and then vac sealed them. I would only use the bacon again if truck camping though. In September, I just didn't feel good about eating the bacon on day 6. I guess it started getting into my head.

Cowboy611

Lil-Rokslider
I support you flyguy. Some cities have incinarators because they filled up the landfills. And many people all over the place use burn barrels toburn their trash. To the guy that said to stick your face over the end of the stove pipe...if that was just lodgepole pine you would still be inhaling toxins. Its just a a bunch of facebook drama queens coming to rokslide. If leaving your ashes is so bad than what happens when a wildfire comes thru. This thread is lacking commons sense. You arent contamiting shit enough to make a difference to amything. You are making far more of a positive impact by buying a tag and harvesting your own food.
Ps do you like the muley freak bino harness?

Enough burning stuff drama. Go start a new thread about it if you must. Please keep this one on track.

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I don't backcountry hunt, so hopefully I don't get run out on a rail! When I get back to the camper at night, i want to put as little effort in to my dinner as possible. I will usually go with a couple packages of ramen with a couple packages of tuna mixed in. The flavored tuna packets are great for this, my favorite being the sweet and spicy chili. Not super nutrient packed, but after a full day of hunting, I just need a big filling meal.
During the day I have a butthole bagel, rx bar, kind bars, honey stinger waffles, jerky, trail mix, spam singles.
Two things I always have in the camper during hunting season are Vienna sausages and zebra cakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently discovered the precooked pouches of pasta, rice and curry at Winco. none of these items are light, so are relegated to quick meals at the rig.

Pasta (drop the pouch into boiling water, Alfredo sauce (in a jar), and a hand full of bacon bits for a quick carbonara.
The rice and curry pouches, just drop in boiling water till heated through and eat.

tlkaetz

WKR
Honey Stinger Waffle (Lemon Flavored)
Bobo's Peanut Butter Stuff'd Oats Bar
Sargento Colby-Jack Cheese Sticks
Wasabi Almonds
Sour Patch Kids

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that take bacon...do you just cook it in the oven (or skillet...im an oven guy myself), drain the fat on paper towels, then put it in a ziplock and off you go? Do you freeze it, keep it in the fridge, or any of that before you leave?

I cook it to slightly under done in the oven, and then slice it into 2" sections, and freeze it in individual servings. Once im packed in, I finish cooking it in the jetboil and top with water. Once that's boiling, it all goes into the Mountain House package. Everything tastes better with bacon :D

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
Hey reading an old post of yours. How much water did you use when you used half and half mountain house?

I'm not at home, so can't tell you the exact amount. Just use the sum of half water needed for a pouch of breakfast skillet plus half water needed for a pouch of biscuits and gravy. I mix these at home in 1 qt ziplock bags and then write the ounces needed on there with a sharpie. Cheapest way to do this is get two of the big cans. If you're not going to use that much I watch the price on the pouches on amazon throughout the year and buy enough for my fall hunting when they get down to 5-6 bucks each. I keep one clean MH foil bag and put the ziplock into there when heating/eating.