5 Favorite foods in the backcountry?

Since I'm about to do some shopping SOON for my elk hunt, thought I'd see what everyones 3-5 favorite foods to bring hunting are considering weight, nutrition and taste? Especially lunch type stuff which is more challenging for me to find. Here's mine:

Peanut butter in the small single serving cups on a bagel (kinda heavy but worth it to me)
Costco steak strips (extra thick cut) like jerky but much thicker and not near as chewy.
Idahoan instant potatoes about any flavor (dinner)
Tuna or salmon in the small sealed packets with a tortilla
Crasins

I had hickory smoke Starkest tuna pack on a bagel with mustard twice for lunch on my past hunt, it will be coming this coming up mission as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
For lunch, Snickers bar, salami slices and pepperjack cheese sticks, trail mix or nuts of some kind. I don't like to get out my stove for lunch.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
For breakfast I mix half a pack of mountain house breakfast skillet with half a pack of mountain house biscuits and gravy. Put that on a tortilla and you've got a hearty breakfast. for lunch I like to pack individually packed hard cheeses and small(single serving salami) with some triscuits. Dinners, whatever mountain house you prefer.

For breakfast I mix half a pack of mountain house breakfast skillet with half a pack of mountain house biscuits and gravy. Put that on a tortilla and you've got a hearty breakfast. .

I'm not to sure why I never thought of that. Sounds tasty.

rodney482

WKR
Brilliant!!! Simply fantastic

For breakfast I mix half a pack of mountain house breakfast skillet with half a pack of mountain house biscuits and gravy. Put that on a tortilla and you've got a hearty breakfast. for lunch I like to pack individually packed hard cheeses and small(single serving salami) with some triscuits. Dinners, whatever mountain house you prefer.

FlyGuy

WKR
Got my 3000 cal/day meal bags packaged up over the weekend. I have mine set up so that everything burns (nothing to haul out) and only a hot meal for dinner so I don't pack the stove everyday. The trade for that convienece is that I'm not eating a bunch of fancy meals, but honestly I can't wait to tear into some of these bags! There are a number of foods sprinkled in that I don't allow myself to eat on a regular basis, so I'm looking forward to some guilt free indulgence! Pop tarts, kit Kat bars, dark chocolate almonds...

48b4da6e6e5c7d827beca47916b72583.jpg
4c2bd50d7e2d0e28edbe02ca251ce159.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
Got my 3000 cal/day meal bags packaged up over the weekend. I have mine set up so that everything burns (nothing to haul out) and only a hot meal for dinner so I don't pack the stove everyday. The trade for that convienece is that I'm not eating a bunch of fancy meals, but honestly I can't wait to tear into some of these bags! There are a number of foods sprinkled in that I don't allow myself to eat on a regular basis, so I'm looking forward to some guilt free indulgence! Pop tarts, kit Kat bars, dark chocolate almonds...

Can you elaborate on what's in those bags? Thanks.

Cant add much. The Idahoan potatoes are the bomb. Ramen noodles are good. Usually throw in with my mountain house.

Instant oatmeal with some dehydrated milk thrown in.

PB fit is decent if you can find it. Mix it in with oatmeal as well.

FlyGuy

WKR
Here you go. I started pre-making these bags last year and I'll never go back. So many advantages to this method!

TIME - This will save you an ocean of time during the hunt to just grab a bag, throw it in your pack, and go. You don't have to waste any time thinking about what to bring, digging around trying to find what you are looking for in a sea of grocery bags, or on food prep or cleaning.

Energy - The food bags gives you an easy and immediate gauge for your caloric intake - if you have food left at the end of the day, then you know that you aren't eating enough. Force down some calories so that you don't run out of gas.

Less mistakes - My brain also gets scrambled with everything going on and lack of sleep. I want less things that I have to remember to do or decide while I'm back there. Spending an hour or two on this now while my head is clear and i'm not running around in the dark trying to get out to a spot before legal daylight is worth every second.

Ease of use - I have this plan set up so that I am only firing up my jetboil at night. That means I am grabbing my breakfast on the go without having to heat anything (unless I choose to drink coffee). If you have to cook it in the am you are probably just going to skip it b/c you want to either sleep longer or get out there faster. I also don't need to boil water at lunch, so that lightens up my pack. Finally, every single bit of packaging for these foods will be consumed in the campfire, meaning nothing to be packed out (like steel or aluminum cans of tuna/sardines/fruit, etc). No cleaning of dishes, no campfire required if I'm beat and I just want to crawl in my bag and crash...

View attachment 56650

Owenst7

WKR
MRE cheese packets on pilot bread
Smoked salmon (also good on pilot bread)
Toffee covered peanuts
Sunflower seeds
Austin cheese crackers
Welch's fruit snacks are only 80cal/ounce but have some vitamins and stuff in them. I dont carry chocolate in the summer but like to have small amounts of sugar handy for when I'm crashing and I need something to help me eat real food.
Kirkland mixed nut packets are cheap and 300 Cal/1.6 ounces. They have a bunch of protein and fat too.

Dinner stuff I also like the idahoan potatoes. Actually had some last night. Bear Creek soup mixes are really good too and have a ton of calories.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider

Looks like "everything burns" is being used loosely here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you that take bacon...do you just cook it in the oven (or skillet...im an oven guy myself), drain the fat on paper towels, then put it in a ziplock and off you go? Do you freeze it, keep it in the fridge, or any of that before you leave?

muddydogs

WKR
?? What do you mean? There is nothing in those bags that won't disappear in a campfire.

Burning the plastic and foil in a fire might make it disappear but your still putting toxins in the soil. Don't know to many people that think its alright to burn plastic especially if its not in a campsite fire pit that hasn't already been polluted by other people. I wouldn't think of it and I don't burn plastic or foil in a well used fire pit as its just not right. I would hope that if you are starting a fire where one has never been before that when you are done burning your plastic you at least scoop up the ashes and haul them out in one of them zip lock bags you have.

FlyGuy

WKR
Burning the plastic and foil in a fire might make it disappear but your still putting toxins in the soil. Don't know to many people that think its alright to burn plastic especially if its not in a campsite fire pit that hasn't already been polluted by other people. I wouldn't think of it and I don't burn plastic or foil in a well used fire pit as its just not right. I would hope that if you are starting a fire where one has never been before that when you are done burning your plastic you at least scoop up the ashes and haul them out in one of them zip lock bags you have.

I've never seen any state or federal requirements or even recommendations that these items could not/should not be consumed in a campfire. If they exist then please educate me on that. I have also never seen any research that says the ground is "contaminated" by burned plastic? If your fire is hot then it is gone.

Regardless, this year my campfire will be inside my cylinder stove, so no contaminates will ever even reach the ground. The wrappers and such will make good tinder, and any residual that somehow doesn't evaporate will eventually be burnt down to nothing.

Here is a link to the fire burning thread. I'm not looking to recreate this debate here. Look down upon me if you like, but I'm burning my trash (completely) and there is no way in hell that I'm going to scoop up and haul out a bunch of DIRT. What would I even do with it when I got back? Dump it on the ground? Put it into a garbage can to be dumped out on the ground in a landfill?