Backcountry Beverage Vessel?

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
There's a backcountry coffee thread below but I'm less curious about how folks are brewing and more interested what you're drinking it out of.

I only carry a water bladder, titan kettle and squishy bowl on hunts. The squishy bowl is what I drink my coffee from.

Squishy bowls are great for oatmeal but leave a lot to be desired for drinking from.

I'm interested in a lightweight and maybe insulated cup of some sort, but figured I'd ask what you all are using for your hot beverage sipping solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I attach a 16 oz plastic coffee mug too one of my compression straps with a carabiner I like a big cup of coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyGuy

WKR
I just drink mine straight from the jetboil pot. It's insulated which is nice. I'm just using instant coffee in those teabag things.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Tried a ziplock screw top container the past few weekends. Ended up poking a hole in the lid to sip out of. Wrapped in reflectix, it's lighter than a Ti mug and it's insulated. The lid is great for rehydrated stuff overnight to save fuel on hot water.

KJH

WKR
A small insulated plastic cup that I bought from a dollar store. Its basically crush proof and weighs essentially nothing.

Owenst7

WKR
Starbucks has an awesome 16oz cup with a great lid. It's made out of polypropylene and is really tough. They're $2.

I made a coozie for it from reflectix, and the whole thing works out to 2 ounces. You could use a spare sock and save a half ounce I suppose.

When I want something on the move, I just use a mini 16 oz nalgene. They're only 3 ounces which isn't too bad. The utility of a measuring bottle that I never worry about crushing in my pack while full of coffee is worth the weight. Pretty sure mine is under 4 ounces with the reflectix.

Last edited:

WKR
A free coffee cup from a bag of dog food I bought in 1996, lol.

I was in college and super stoked to get such an awesome mug! Now it's just sort of tradition to bring my "dog food cup"

Probably the longest relationship I've ever sustained...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MIKEYB

WKR
I used one of these this year. I don't transport my coffee around I usually drink it before I leave camp or when stationary. It is basically a plastic cup with measurement markings on it that slides into the coozie. worked well. and is 3.5 oz

Access Denied

I ordered this to try. Has the drip system that comes with it. Also they show the Aerolid on the soto site. but I have not found it for sale in the US. No experience with this yet as I have not received it but will be giving it a shot next month. A little more spendy and .6 oz heavier without a lid.

OD-AM combo | Products | SOTO

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I have something like this: Access Denied

Works well, and I store my instant coffee packets in it, along with a small container of powdered creamer. Works great in the morning, and I always know where my coffee packets are....really durable, too; can stuff it anywhere in your pack when hking in/out (after you drink the coffee. The lid has a small slit in it for drinking.)

I used one of these this year. I don't transport my coffee around I usually drink it before I leave camp or when stationary. It is basically a plastic cup with measurement markings on it that slides into the coozie. worked well. and is 3.5 oz

Access Denied

I use the same mug, it’s also what I make my oatmeal in. Pro-tip - the lid has a really good seal, if you don’t want it to leak open drinking hole before putting the lid on then close the drink hole. The lid seems to pop open a bit with hot coffee in it if you don’t. When I’m using this I hang it off my bino buddy with coffee, or an electrolyte drink in it. I don’t put drink powders in my bladder or water bottle, only this mug.

I use a 17 oz. Microlite thermos from REI. I drink my hot liquid and drink mixes from it. I can also use it with my steri pen if I want to quickly grab some water from a creek. It's almost as light as any plastic nalgene and it has a leak proof lid with a really nice lip for drinking from.