DIY Food dehydrating

Cledus

WKR
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source for learning how to properly prepare your own meals for the backcountry, specifically how to dehydrate them, etc.

I tried a search and couldn't find anything on it.

TJ

WKR
Here is a pretty good link to dehydrating.

Dehydrating Food

I have found dehydrating meals like casseroles worked best for me.

I wasn't fond mixing dehydrated ingredients and expecting a decent meal.

OP
Cledus

Cledus

WKR
Here is a pretty good link to dehydrating.

Dehydrating Food

I have found dehydrating meals like casseroles worked best for me.

I wasn't fond mixing dehydrated ingredients and expecting a decent meal.

Thank you, sir!

Not a fan of pastas after dehydrating/rehydrating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Check out this guy as well, for some reason I just liked his corny videos and the food always looks good. You don't have to simmer these meals, dumping in water and covering would be just fine as well.

1960 hiker dude dehydrated - YouTube

Like you, when I started I was looking for specific meals, etc. and kept hearing "you can dehydrate ALMOST any meal you already eat, just chop it up small and dehydrate it..." And really, it's pretty true. Some of the stuff I've done:

Chili, pasta and sauce, taco meat to put on tortillas, chopped sweet potatoes w/ seasoned ground venison/beef, zucchini noodle "pasta", etc. Chop it small enough and dehydrate it on the high/meat setting (usually 165 or so) until it is completely dry. The big thing is giving it a longer soak time when rehydrating than you do with freeze dried meals like mountain house. You rush it and you get crunchy bits.