Redneck Pad Thai Backpacking Meal

ecw

FNG
So after hearing of this on a podcast - I forget which one so if anyone knows make sure to credit them since the idea isn’t original - I’ve tried it a couple times and absolutely love it.

Ingredients -
1 pk of Top Ramen (I used the chicken flavor)
1 Small pk Teriyaki Beef Jerky
2 tbsp peanut butter(could use powder I believe)
3 tbsp hot sauce (I use the condiment packs from any take out place)

Directions -
Boil water for ramen with shredded jerky. After ramen is added and dish is cooling mix PB and hot sauce. Devour when cool enough.

Using the full package of ramen and Jif creamy Pb meal yields about 725 cal and is very small/light to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
That doesn't sound half bad at all. Thanks for posting up the idea. I've been cruising different sites and this sub-forum for good meal ideas. This fall will be the first backpacking trip in with my kids and there have been a lot of helpful recipes.

Jeremy

Owenst7

WKR
I've been doing something similar, except I'm just buying whole wheat spaghetti from the bulk section of WinCo. It hydrates pretty much the same as a packet of Top Ramen.

To the noodles, I'm adding the following, all from the bulk section:
Powdered peanut butter
"Blazin' Hot Trail Mix" - it's pretty much just a nut mix dusted in cayenne and some other spices
sesame seeds and/or unsalted sunflower kernels (the sunflowers are like 170 cal/ounce)
a bit more cayenne
a bit of garlic/onion powder, smoked paprika, etc...whatever I'm in the mood for spice wise
~1/2 ounce of olive oil or some other fat

I haven't settled in on proportions that I like, but it's a simple enough recipe to figure out what fits your tastes. It's great because the noodles and peanut powder are both over 100 cal/ounce and have a decent amount of protein, so you really can just mix it to suit your tastes instead of worrying about the weight or nutrition. I premix everything but the noodles and put in a snack-size ziplock. On longer trips, I'm using a screw top Nalgene (they come in sizes from 1/2 ounce up to over a quart, the small ones weigh less than half an ounce) I put that ziplock along with ~2.5 ounces of noodles in a quart size freezer bag. The noodles will rehydrate fine in boiled water in 5-10 minutes, so long as you insulate everything well. Use enough water that you can dump the nuts/seasoning/sauce mix in and stir. The extra hot water will help hydrate the noodles better anyway.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I substitute a package of Thai Chili Tuna (Bumble Bee) for the jerky and hot sauce. Single serve Jif peanut butter cups work well also.

I buy the black package spicy ramen and add a packet of tuna already. It sounds like adding a little powdered pb would get pretty close to this. I'll have to give it a shot.

The packaging for the noodles is foil-like on the inside so I crush the noodles add the veg packet and about half the spice, then the tuna. I fit the bag into my camping cup and add about one cup of boiled water. No mess, no clean-up. I forget the calorie count but it's around 800 with 30 grams of protein.

On my last trip I added some diced salami to a package of idahoan instant hash browns. The hash browns rehydrated fine by just adding water to the bag but the meal would have been better if I had cut up some beef jerky. I haven't previously tried adding jerky to my meals other than just eating it so I'll have to test that a bit with these recipes.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Nice, in prison these are known as "bricks lol

also frequently added:

Crushed potato chips
Velveeta cheese
Crushed up cheese crackers

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk