Coffee brand/ flavour ?

Axlrod

WKR
I love Peet's it has the date roasted on the front of the bag and it is always pretty fresh. I have tried them all but prefer the French roast or Maj. Dikinsons

Caconym

FNG
When I was in the Scouts I remember one of the leaders "settling" the tea leaves by swinging the billy around, using a centrefuge effect. Does anyone do this to settle their cowboy coffee, or is that just insane?

Muttly

WKR
I start with roasting my own green coffee beans in the fresh roast 500. When I don't have time for that I get Rodaks Coffee roasted to order and shipped to my door. Then i use the technivorm moccamaster daily. Aeropress with a stainless steal filter makes a good single cup. French press is my favorite when I have the time to enjoy it. I also do pour overs. I have a couple different hario hand grinders that are great to use with a consistent grind.
Coffee really is a lot better when it's a quality bean that's only been roasted for 3 or 4 days.

So I got a wild hair after reading this, and deep seated hillbilly streak.. A few tips and a bag of green beans from my local non habit forming caffeine roasting guru..a little Google, and I think I,m hooked!
Tried a couple batches in a saute pan, then rounded up an old hot air popper, now I,m coming home from work and sneaking out to the shop to roast more coffee almost every night!
Might even get a real roaster one day!..

Mosby

WKR
I buy my 100% Columbian coffee at Sam's or Costco. I am a fan of Juan Valdez. Throw it in my old fashioned percolator, put it on the stove and it let it do its thing. When backpack hunting I go with instant. I am trying different brands of instant right now to improve my mornings. Read recently that 90 % of instant coffee is drank in Latin/Central America and that instant coffee made/marketed for that market tends to be the best Don't know if true but I am trying to find that out right now. Costco had Starbucks Via on sale recently and bought some of that. I am not a big fan of Starbucks in general but people say the Via is good, so I am going to give it a shot. I will be comparing it to 3-4 other brands of instant and pick one for hunting trips.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Starbucks sticks in the field and whatever’s cheapest in a K cup. I drink a lot of the stuff and I’m not picky as long as it’s hot, black and strong. On my 3rd cup this morning in 2 hours.

LostArra

WKR
So I got a wild hair after reading this, and deep seated hillbilly streak.. A few tips and a bag of green beans from my local non habit forming caffeine roasting guru..a little Google, and I think I,m hooked!
Tried a couple batches in a saute pan, then rounded up an old hot air popper, now I,m coming home from work and sneaking out to the shop to roast more coffee almost every night!
Might even get a real roaster one day!..

Long time home roaster here.
Muttly: don't assume a "real" roaster will produce a better product than your hot air popper. The small consumer-grade "real" hot air roasters are overly busy with buttons and settings and won't last as long as the popper. The drum roasters just don't make the same coffee as hot air (fluid bed) roasters. I've been full circle, killed more than a couple of small hot air roasters and tried the drum method but I'm back to the Poppery II.

My commercial favorites when I can get them: Raven's Brew (Ketchikan) and Peets. Costco has some nice coffee but the closest Costco is 100 miles away.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I always liked the whole bean Panama coffee that comes in the yellow bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cafe Duran in the yellow bag. Wife always brings back the ground. I just got back from Panama and brought some Duran whole bean coffee back. Also brought back a bag of coffee from Cherique Panama which is over close to Costa Rico. Interestingly, that is where the Indian name Cherokee comes from.

Got out to our farm but was unable to get down to where the coffee is grown. Seems killer (Africanized) bees have taken up residence down there. Plan is to get down there again next year, get rid of the bees and get the coffee trees back in shape.

Muttly

WKR
Long time home roaster here.
Muttly: don't assume a "real" roaster will produce a better product than your hot air popper. The small consumer-grade "real" hot air roasters are overly busy with buttons and settings and won't last as long as the popper. The drum roasters just don't make the same coffee as hot air (fluid bed) roasters. I've been full circle, killed more than a couple of small hot air roasters and tried the drum method but I'm back to the Poppery II.

My commercial favorites when I can get them: Raven's Brew (Ketchikan) and Peets. Costco has some nice coffee but the closest Costco is 100 miles away.

True story. It was amazingly easy to make truly awesome coffee with the first little popper, one of the West Bend Poppery units. Ran it too hard and burned out the heater.. Rounded up one of the little air roasters, and spent a few weeks tryna match what the little popper would do, got ALMOST close a couple times..
Finally threw in the towel, grabbed a Whirly Pop, got back on the right path pretty quick. Then the allergies kicked in big time this spring, worst in quite a few years, sense of taste and smell not very keen. But a world champion sneezing machine for q couple days..
Last week, sense of taste and smell is back, yeah, at least for this kid, a LOT easier to find tune a roast and get a lot closer to what I, m looking for with that little Whirly Pop.
I will be rounding up another Poppery, next one, plan to rewire slightly, have the fan constantly on, switch control just the heat..

Tag_Soup

WKR
Brevlle Barista express was the best investment I ever made...now my wife and I go through about a lb of espresso roast beans a month. We are partial to the Costco ones in the red bag. Via works ok in the backcountry

Tradchef

WKR
I go for a local roast typically.. friend roasts at Treeline in Bozeman and they are about 100yards from my house. It's always changing but prefer a more vanilla, caramel, medium roasted bean.

It's just me and a dog so the aeropress is typically what I use. Just very convenient for one cup, the process is therapeutic in a sense in the morning.

Treeline does do a monthly sub where they'll send you either 2 16oz jars with beans, or a couple larger packages a month.

Also have taken their geo's all across MT. Good way to enjoy a good pourover in the mtns.

Great coffee for sure!!!!