Testicles!

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Well I saw Steve Rinella's video in which he cooked and ate the testicle. I've never been timid of trying new foods so figured I'd try it. I killed a small buck the other night and I think I'll give it a go. Anyone done this before and have tips for preparation? If not I'll report back on how they were! Thanks

Owenst7

WKR
There's a chewy membrane/skin around them. A couple layers actually. A very sharp knife and careful hand can split it open. The flavor of the butter will get in there better if you remove it first. Otherwise, you can eat around it.

They're very tender and have a pretty mild flavor. Similar texture to a hot dog if you get rid of that chewy membrane.

MtnOyster

WKR
as stated above, you have got to get the skin and membrane off of them then soak them in salt water over night, give em a good washing, roll em around in a good batter and flour and pan fry them in a skillet.
we used to cut feeder pigs when I was a kid, grandpa would take all those oysters home and that's how grandma would fix em, if you cook em right you will be shocked how good they are, if they're bigger than your thumb I would cut them in half.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice. Had them tonight. Not bad at all. Kind of reminded me of the fat off of a good ribeye combined with a mussel or something. I'd save them again.

530Chukar

WKR
I tried the same recipe of his last year. Wasn't a fan of the texture. Probably won't be saving them again.

ChrisS

WKR
There's a restaurant near me that does a testicle festival every October and they serve a complimentary plate of fried balls to any table that wants to try them. They also change up the critter every few days. Last October I had pig and bison nuts. Couldn't tell much of a difference, but they were fine. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try making them on my own.

Flowryda

FNG
Just ate some on my trip to Wyoming. We simply sliced them into thin pieces, and quickly sauteed in butter. Placed them on top of chunks of tenderloin prepared the same way. A+ in my book

boom

WKR
i tried them. peeled the membrane(s), the cut them into medallions. quick dusting in flour and fried them.

they taste and feel just like a fried oyster. i wouldnt say i LOOOVE them, but i'm thrilled to have tried them. my brother and friend hated them..but it was more mental for them.

Rinella's line was the best. (paraphrasing), he said he was never comfortable with how easy they are to take off a deer.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Best way is fresh off the calf hanging on the back of the branding pot. When the skin or membrane pop they are ready to eat. We have ate them for years this way at most every branding we go to.