Mass Gainers for backcountry meals?

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used mass gainers or high caloric powders such as ON serious mass or BSN true mass? They're around 750-1000 calories a serving. I would imagine pretty light weight since it is an "add liquid" type powder.

I like the bsn cookies and cream flavor. It goes great with an added packet of instant coffee.

If you skip the coffee and mix it with oatmeal or the like, I would get the strawberry flavor.

My breakfast is usually a scoop of their mass powder, a scoop of oatmeal, some raisins and walnuts in a quart baggie. If I'm going for speed I do the coffee+powder.

Where it gets ya is one serving is actually like 6 scoops there are only like 10 servings in a jar. So the many scoops adds the weight back up.
Imo better off just adding regular protein to oatmeal.
I haven't tried the off grid,predator fuel yet but it's prepacked oatmeal with protein and all the reviews so far seems to be a hit.

^Agreed.

I typically just add one scoop and it works out to about the same grams of protein as non-mass gainer but still packs more quick carbs.

OP
W

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
^Agreed.

I typically just add one scoop and it works out to about the same grams of protein as non-mass gainer but still packs more quick carbs.

Thats what I was thinking. I have mass gainer and i usually only do like 2 scoops and its still like 500 calories and more carbs and fat than just regular protein, helps me hit caloric goals and macros at home. Might give it a shot for the back country because my first trip this september I only hit like 1200 cal a day and lost a ton of weight. Just couldn't eat

JWP58

WKR
Brady Miller was on the journal of mountain hunting podcast talking about his stoveless approach, and these were the base of his breakfast.