Wild Game recipes

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all I'm wanting people to post up their favorite wild game recipes here. I Google searched and couldn't find a single page that showed off everyone on Rokslide's best recipes. I've kept most of my wild game cooking pretty basic so far, I enjoy bbq and roasts, but I have a lot of game meat this year and want to try new things.

My family's favorite recipe I've come up with is for venison burgers.

Bagel's Burgers:

1.5lb ground venison
1lb bacon
onion (red or white)
garlic
olive oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon pepper
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 cup Shredded cheddar

To start take the thawed venison burger and add to large mixing bowl. Open package of bacon, with kitchen scissors cut into dime size or smaller pieces approximately 3/4lb of bacon. (Keep remaining 1/4lb of bacon to fry to top burgers). Add 1 egg, garlic salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and cheddar.

In a small frying pan add olive oil and saute onion and garlic lightly. Add sauteed vegetables to the burger mix and blend thoroughly by hand.

Make baseball sized balls and flatten for grilling.

I have both grilled or baked these burgers with good success. Cook until they reach the desired level of doneness. I prefer medium or approx 145 degrees (checked with a meat thermometer) or well done at approx 165 degrees. Due to the fat content in the bacon even well done burgers will stay juicy.

As burgers are ready to come of the grill top with your choice of cheese and serve with your favorite condiments.

Wild boar sliders:

Using the loin or the tenderloin will work in this recipe. The method of cooking is fairly simple it is the garnish and buns that make it unique.

Season the port to taste with garlic salt and pepper and put it in the crockpot with water approximately 1 inch and allow to slow cook. (Great to throw in before work and let it cook all day).

After the slow cooking process shred and add ½ bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce and mix.

Jalapeno-Lime Slaw:

I do not like mayo and make a mayo-free slaw.

1 bag coleslaw mixed vegies.
1 red onion
3 jalapenos
6 limes

Add coleslaw mix to mixing bowl, chop red onion to taste and add to bowl, remove seeds and finely chop the jalapenos, and finally half all 6 limes and squeeze over coleslaw mix.

Add shredded wild boar, extra BBQ sauce to taste, jalapeno-lime slaw, onto Hawaiian bread and enjoy.

uSpkF1n.png

Lets hear your favorite dish, preferably with some sort of cooking instructions so I can sample them at home with my family.
Thanks!

PNWGATOR

WKR
My favorite sausage recipe to date. Found the recipe in a Field & Stream magazine at the dentist office and it looked simple and different and extremely flavorful. It's versatile! Good by itself, on a bun w/peppers and onions, any Italian dish, breakfast scramble on pizza, etc. It doesn't disappoint!

Merguez

Merguez is a fiery red lamb sausage from North Africa and this recipe uses wild game and store bought hot Italian sausage.

• 1 lb. venison
• 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 11⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
• 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
• Sheep or hog casings
• Harissa, for serving (optional)
1) Cut the venison into small strips or chunks. Chill the venison, the grinder parts, and the mixing bowl for about 30 minutes in the freezer. Then grind the venison through a 1⁄4‑inch die and refrigerate.
2) Remove the Italian sausage from the casings. Discard the casings. Combine the venison and the Italian sausage filling with the cumin, -paprika, cayenne, salt, garlic, and cilantro.
3) Knead the mixture with your very clean hands to incorporate the spices and fully blend the meats. Refrigerate until ready to stuff.
4) Stuff into rinsed casings, forming links as desired. Allow the sausages to dry on a rack in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
5) These sausages are best cooked over a hot grill. As with all venison sausages, take care not to overcook. Serve with the harissa on the side. Makes about 2lbs.

Takem

WKR
Anything from Hank Shaw's books or websites. He has never steered me wrong. The same goes for Steven Rinella. For example, lets say Ive got some venison shoulder. I go to google and search "Steven Rinella + Venison Shoulder" here is what I got and this is a great recipe.
A Rinella Recipe: Venison Blade Roast – MeatEater

Or Ive got some ducks. Google search "Hank Shaw + Duck Recipes - Here are the Results:

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/

Couldn't agree with more with both of the above. The blade roast recipe has completely changed the way I look at deer shoulders. Hank Shaw has some great recipe's as well.

LostArra

WKR
Anything from Hank Shaw's books or websites. He has never steered me wrong. The same goes for Steven Rinella. For example, lets say Ive got some venison shoulder. I go to google and search "Steven Rinella + Venison Shoulder" here is what I got and this is a great recipe.
A Rinella Recipe: Venison Blade Roast – MeatEater

Or Ive got some ducks. Google search "Hank Shaw + Duck Recipes - Here are the Results:

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/

Rinella's blade roast is good but Shaw's venison barbacoa is one of the best bone-in roast recipes I've ever tried. Especially great with a deer neck roast. (I did omit the cloves). My son in law and I stuffed ourselves on this last night while the women were out of town. Rerun feast on leftovers tonight.

https://honest-food.net/barbacoa-recipe-venison/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk