New Bulk Sausage Recipe

Clarktar

WKR
This one turned out pretty good. I substitute red wine for the water, and don't add the cure. Added a little more red pepper flakes. Not to spicy for the kids, and is really good!

#'s oz's.
Pork butt 11.75 188.00
venison 11.75 188.00
Garlic Powder 0.05 0.72
Paprika 0.13 2.00
Whole Fennel 0.05 0.80
Salt 0.45 7.20
Ground Cori. 0.03 0.48
Sugar 0.13 2.00
Black Pepper 0.06 1.00
Water 0.88 14.00
Crush Red Pep 0.03 0.40
Cure 0.04 0.60

And this breakfast sausage one is probably the best breakfast sausage I have ever had!!

1.) 15 lbs. ground deer (fine grind plate)
2.) 15 lbs. ground pork shoulder
3.) 9 tblsp. table salt
4.) 4.5 tblsp. ground thyme
5.) 4.5 tblsp. marjoram
6.) 9 tblsp. rubbed sage
7.) 9 tblsp. table grind black pepper
8.) 1 quart of buttermilk

jmden

WKR
How did you come by these? Just experimenting...? I'll have to give that second one a try. That's quite an endorsement!

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
How did you come by these? Just experimenting...? I'll have to give that second one a try. That's quite an endorsement!
First recipe was from Texas bowhunter website. Lots of sausage recipes on that site.

Second one is from the huntWA website, and it is garnering similar endorsement s there from members

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So I see it says pork shoulder. Do you look for something in the shoulder or just grab any one at the store.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
So I see it says pork shoulder. Do you look for something in the shoulder or just grab any one at the store.
We butchered a pig so I had some copa's and other fatty cuts. I was a few lbs low on the pork

I usually mix in bacon ends. Do you thing that would work for the weight or be too much fat? I usually use 1/3 of my total weight in bacon ends in all my sausages.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I usually mix in bacon ends. Do you thing that would work for the weight or be too much fat? I usually use 1/3 of my total weight in bacon ends in all my sausages.
I have no idea. I'm new to making stuff other than ground and steaks. I think bacon would be a little too fatty. Pork shoulders are usually inexpensive, especially from Costco

ChrisS

WKR
No issues with the buttermilk going off in that sausage?

We made some sausage a few years ago that had milk powder in the recipe. Went rancid in the freezer(!) and tasted like spoiled milk.

I use pork butt roast instead of shoulder in my recipes. I can get them on sale for .79 to .99 cents a pound in a "family pack" of 2 roasts. I usually buy several when they go on sale, and freeze the ones I don't use right away.

nickstone

WKR
First recipe was from Texas bowhunter website. Lots of sausage recipes on that site.

Second one is from the huntWA website, and it is garnering similar endorsement s there from members

There's a guy named mesquite country on texasbowhunter that posted some great excel spreadsheets a while back with great recipes and you can change the numbers around to suit your needs.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
There's a guy named mesquite country on texasbowhunter that posted some great excel spreadsheets a while back with great recipes and you can change the numbers around to suit your needs.
Yep! That's the one I was referring to. If I knew how I would post the Excel file here. It the recipe I used for the italian, except I added wine!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Me and 2 buddies just did 85lb of fresh sausage last weekend. Kielbasa, hot dogs, brats, and breakfast. I didn't partake in the breakfast so I can't readily compare. My family uses mostly kielbasa and hot dogs.

Anyways a useful comment on the fat. Rather than doing 50% pork shoulder we just get nice white slabs of pork fat so we can keep the content of game meat higher. Typically we go 80/20 and that tastes just fine to us and there is plenty of grease in those casings when cooked up.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I would like to try kielbasa sometime. Care to share recipe/instruction?

Broomd

WKR
Thanks for this recipe, Clark! Just got the new $39 Cabelas grinder and need to burn it up! lol....

Wife will appreciate these recipes, although we'll also skip the buttermilk. Suspect rancidity would be a given....

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I had more of the breakfast sausage this morning! Really can't recommend it enough!

COOTER

FNG
I use pork butt roast instead of shoulder in my recipes. I can get them on sale for .79 to .99 cents a pound in a "family pack" of 2 roasts. I usually buy several when they go on sale, and freeze the ones I don't use right away.

pork butts are the same as pork shoulder