Do you Sous vide?

jjolg

FNG
Anyone done any moose this way? i was gifted a roast i was thinking of sous vide but wasnt sure temp or length as ive only used it for deer backstraps

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Anyone done any moose this way? i was gifted a roast i was thinking of sous vide but wasnt sure temp or length as ive only used it for deer backstraps

3-5 days a week since last fall. It’s fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Good to hear, what temps and time do you go with?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I treat moose exactly like any other elk or deer. I set Sous Vide at 122 then reverse sear. It’ll bring the temp up to 125-128.
My best results have been searing with a hd cast iron pan but a torch works too.
3a009707e6525b9d6dcf03fc8947695e.jpg

eae7d21fb22f18cf0025f2b640adb4f7.jpg

This was this week.

jjolg

FNG
I treat moose exactly like any other elk or deer. I set Sous Vide at 122 then reverse sear. It’ll bring the temp up to 125-128.
My best results have been searing with a hd cast iron pan but a torch works too.
3a009707e6525b9d6dcf03fc8947695e.jpg

eae7d21fb22f18cf0025f2b640adb4f7.jpg

This was this week.

Texture looks good how long was it in the water

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I have an Anova. Even simple stuff like Hard Boiling a bunch of eggs to throw in a cooler during hunting season is damn easy. Buy 2 dozen from costco, toss em in, and leave them for an hour or so, never over cooked.

I love it. The biggest advice i can give is to let the meat REST after the sous vide' and before a sear for optimal moisture!

Technically speaking, meat cooked sous vide should not need a rest. In traditional cooking, meat needs to rest to allow the temperature and moisture across the meat to come to equilibrium. If it is sliced while the surface is hot and the cooler center is holding all the juices, the juices flow onto the cutting board and are lost. With a sous vide cooked piece of meat, the temperature and moisture distribution should be the same across the meat edge to edge.

I love it. The biggest advice i can give is to let the meat REST after the sous vide' and before a sear for optimal moisture!

Technically speaking, meat cooked sous vide should not need a rest. In traditional cooking, meat needs to rest to allow the temperature and moisture across the meat to come to equilibrium. If it is sliced while the surface is hot and the cooler center is holding all the juices, the juices flow onto the cutting board and are lost. With a sous vide cooked piece of meat, the temperature and moisture distribution should be the same across the meat edge to edge.

So for a normal sized and pretrimmed deer backstrap, if i set my water to 135-140, what is a rule of thumb on time it should sit in the bath? i wanna try it in a cooler with a temp probe before i invest.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
So for a normal sized and pretrimmed deer backstrap, if i set my water to 135-140, what is a rule of thumb on time it should sit in the bath? i wanna try it in a cooler with a temp probe before i invest.

I'm a fan of 131* for 2 hours with an elk backstrap.

Thanks, gives me a rough baseline. Ideally I’ll finish on the Weber (and I hate giving items a brand name like tv hunters but what a simple, great design).

ljalberta

WKR
Anovas on sale for Father's Day. This thread made me pull the trigger. Pretty excited to get into it.

TauPhi111

WKR
I know exactly what you mean. I have started doing most lean cuts/roasts no more than 10hrs ish. I did one at 24 early on and it was definitely 'mealy' as you described.

I love my anova, works great. My favorite is bear so far, I can now eat a bear steak cooked to 145 and not worry about getting trichinosis.

If you haven't tried yet, do some shanks. 160/36 is amazing.

I just got an Anova and so far I love it. I have only done some whitetail backstraps so far, but I'm really interested in doing bear this way the next time I get one. Are you sure 145 is enough? If it is, how long do you cook? I'd imagine you have to hold the meat at 145 for some time to make sure all the trich is dead.

amp713

WKR
So being the redneck I am I took a pot and put it on the stove full of water. Laid a long spatula across the pot and balanced a meat probe off of it, got my water to temp then dropped the meat in within a ziplock freezer bag....

Im a huge fan of it and will probably buy the fancy tool one of these days!!!

My question, anyone doing complete meals in a single bag? Not just the steak but some sort of mixed bag set up?

I'm wanting to do a bunch of frozen prepped meals that I could just have the wife throw in and turn on or i could have cooking while taking care of other things and just come in to a complete meal.

Plan to do some online searching on the idea but love hearing from other hunters. I'd really like to come up with some ways to use my elk and deer burger

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been playing more with mine. Did backstraps at 137F 1.5hrs or so then seared on charcoal with the grate an inch or two above a hot bed of coals, very good. Also did a 5lb pork loin for 4hrs at 136F then crash cooled in ice water and tossed on a smoker running hot 300-400F type temps to reheat it and put some smoke flavor/color on the exterior, also very good.

In regards to the bear cooking: "Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 125.6deg F, in 6 minutes at 131deg F, and in < 1 minute at 140deg F. It should be noted that these times and temperatures apply only when the product reaches and maintains temperatures evenly distributed throughout the meat. Alternative methods of heating, particularly the use of microwaves, have been shown to give different results, with parasites not completely inactivated when product was heated to reach a prescribed end-point temperature. The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations for processed pork products reflects experimental data, and requires pork to be cooked for 2 hours at 126deg F, for 15 minutes at 132deg F), and for 1 minute at 140deg F"

I didn't search the different strains present in game but a couple hours of 130s seems pretty safe the way I've interpreted it all.