Do you Sous vide?

So apparently if you throw a vacuum sealer, hot water and a few hours at a meat problem, it comes out pretty well.

I am thinking about buying a cooker. When I first looked at it they were pricey b7t it seem they come in more reasonable home units.

Anyone me else using this method? Got any pointers?

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty hard to screw up. We love it. Season meat, seal bag, set temp and that’s about it. I like my steaks pretty rare and my wife likes the taste of leather so I normally cook both of ours to the same temp around 130. When they are done I just sear in cast iron. Hers just gets an extra 60 seconds per side. I was skeptical at first but I love being able to start them hours in advance and be able to just sear them for a minute once everything else is ready. I got mine off amazon for around 60 bucks. It was great This winter to have steak without having to grill outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! I have been using one for about 4 years now. I cook 90% of my protein using it. I have also converted many family and friends, most are a little skeptical at first but after a few tries, they see the light. Also you dont need to always use a vacuum sealer. My sealer doesn't like liquids so If i am cooking something with the marinade in the bag I just use the displacement method with zip lock bags to get the air out.

I have the older bluetooth Anova precision cooker and would definitely recommend it (and sous vide in general) for anything you want cooked less than well done. Tons of cool stuff you can do with it.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, definitely. It's a great way to do backstrap, rib eyes, salmon, short ribs, etc. Personally, I've been using a Sansaire for about 3 years. Works great. The way I look at it, it's just another tool for the kitchen. I cook a ton of different ways (smoker, high heat, sous vide, braise, slow cooker, etc) and I've found that it works great with protein. Hell, I've even used it to infuse vodka and make Everclear limoncello. It has quite a few uses, I would suggest taking a look at Kenji Lopez's books/websites to find great tips and recipes. Sous Vide 101 | Serious Eats

Recently, I've been doing cow elk backstraps at 131* for 2+ hours, then sear with a torch or over hot charcoal in a chimney. That with roasted brussels and potatoes is probably been my favorite meal as of late.

If you are doing a fatty fish like wild salmon/steelhead, my suggestion would be to do a cold saltwater brine for 30 minutes prior to putting it in a sous vide bath. It really helps to keep the fat in the fish rather than it leeching out during the sous vide.

Short ribs are really good, but it's a loooong cook. I usually do mine for 36 hours. Best way to do that is to use a Rubbermaid Commercial 12-18 Quart container, then cover it with foil/saran wrap to prevent water evaporation. Then sear the ribs over a hot grill. Really good. You can do the same with chicken wings, those only take 2-3 hours.

Capture.jpg

boom

WKR
i got a unit this Christmas.

i dont love it. i was trying steaks. going to 128 or 127 for two hours. it still seem overdone. i had a friend tell me to only do one hour. i just cant wrap my head around it for now. everything i read told me mine should come out rare.

i need to try again.

OP
Desk Jockey
I heard a podcast talking about cooking an elk roast for 24 hours at 130. Seems interesting enough. I wonder if it is as tender as a slow cooker type roast.

gumbl3

WKR
Absolutely do.. the best way to cook wild game in my opinion

It's also great at the fire station where we can set it and still not ruin a meal if we're off eating dinner 30 minutes to an hour due to calls

ChrisS

WKR
I haven't done full-on sous vide long cooks, but I do have an electric brewery set-up where I can hold any temperature up to boiling for as long as I want. I've been meaning to give that a try. I have used the food lab's cooler sous vide method for steaks a bunch of times and it works perfectly well.

OP
Desk Jockey
I haven't done full-on sous vide long cooks, but I do have an electric brewery set-up where I can hold any temperature up to boiling for as long as I want. I've been meaning to give that a try. I have used the food lab's cooler sous vide method for steaks a bunch of times and it works perfectly well.

I did that cooler thing. Neat trick. Not sure it was the greatest outcome. Had to add water a bunch to get the temp right for a long cook.

My joule Sous vide thingy arrived I am defrosting a small whitetail roast to give it a whirl.

OP
Desk Jockey
So reporting back. I did a 3.5 # whitetail top round. I did the roast cook. 130 degrees for 24 hours. I seasoned it and seared in a butter pan. It was perfectly medium rare all the way through with a nice crust. It was very tender. Not like a slow cooker falling apart tender but it cut and chewed nicely. It was like the Long cook broke down some of the tissues but it was still nicely firm. It did not break down a thick band of silver skin I left on the meat as a test but that was easy enough to carve out after cooking.

I would definitely tr this for steaks.

It think pork or chicken too.

Going to try salmon next.

The BEST way to cook most meats (Minus poultry).

Impossible to screw up. Extra tender and flavorful.

Sam01

FNG
Best way to consistently cook game. I cook backstrap all day when I’m at work and then it only needs a few minutes sear when I get home and it’s ready. Perfect.

I have cooked straight from frozen and it still turned out just as great.

I have used it for elk and deer but also for a large rib roast.

I have seen reviews for some cookers complain about the time it takes to get up to temperature. Just starting with hot water out of the tap gets you close to cooking temperature.
I also cover the pot with cling wrap to keep evaporation down when cooking for long periods of time.

OP
Desk Jockey
So I fried a thick slice of that deer roast for breakfast like a ham steak. Very tender Easy to chew. I am a Sous vide believer.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Joule unit and freaking LOVE IT. My first one was glitchy for some reason, but I returned it to Amazon and the 2nd one I got has been flawless. I work 12s at the hospital, so I have little time for cooking when I get home. I throw seasoned steaks in a vacuum sealed bag with a big ole pat of butter in the freezer. Grab one and throw it in a tub of water along with the Joule before I head to work. It's wifi/bluetooth enabled. So a couple hours before I get home, I turn it on via my phone. I get home, pull it out of the water, and throw it into the cast iron skillet to sear it. Done.

OP
Desk Jockey
Ok. So there is such a thing as over done in Sous vide. I did a little roast and because of timing of other things it ended up going long in the pot. I understand what they mean by “mealy” texture. It is very tender but in a way that is not entirely good. Kind of like that sawdusty feel that chicken breast can have. Something about the enzymes that are active at certain temps for too long. Gotta play with this a bit and be more smarter about following time guidelines.

Still a big fan but this thing is clearly not idiot proof.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I know exactly what you mean. I have started doing most lean cuts/roasts no more than 10hrs ish. I did one at 24 early on and it was definitely 'mealy' as you described.

I love my anova, works great. My favorite is bear so far, I can now eat a bear steak cooked to 145 and not worry about getting trichinosis.

If you haven't tried yet, do some shanks. 160/36 is amazing.

Ok. So there is such a thing as over done in Sous vide. I did a little roast and because of timing of other things it ended up going long in the pot. I understand what they mean by “mealy” texture. It is very tender but in a way that is not entirely good. Kind of like that sawdusty feel that chicken breast can have. Something about the enzymes that are active at certain temps for too long. Gotta play with this a bit and be more smarter about following time guidelines.

Still a big fan but this thing is clearly not idiot proof.

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was gifted an anova, I used it on meat for the first time over the weekend. Cooked a 2lb hunk of elk back strap for 1.5-2hr at 135 before searing the outside, came out enjoyable. Probably would either go a couple degrees hotter in the future or most likely sear a bit longer as a personal preference.