whitetail backstrap

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
pulled a backstrap from the freezer tonight to thaw for tomorrow. looks like it's a bit freezer burnt. any recomendations on a good healthy way to cook it up without it tasting freezer burnt?

mscibek

FNG
I'm sure you've that backstrap is long gone but if you get another chance, sous vide that sucker! Best way to cook venison that I've found!

rlmmarine

WKR
I second the sous vide!

Okay after looking this up to see its a hot water bath how due you cook it.
Due you put the meat in a bag while in the water
Or meat in the water with spice
How long due you cook it
What temp are you looking for

I'm completely new at this cooking method

BKhunter

WKR
You could smoke it too to hide any off flavors. Lightly smoke it at a low temp and then hot and fast to keep it medium rare.

I just got back from a 3 day camping trip in central Wisconsin and we tried pepperocini marinated backstraps and roasts. HOLY CRAP. We even had two non hunters in the group that have never had venison who said it was incredible. Take a whole backstrap section and marinade in a bag with 2 (32oz) pepperocini cans and throw right in a pan with the pepperocini still inside, basically dumping the whole marinate bag into the pan and cook over a fire, it was tender, pepperocini infused, we even boiled some hot dogs in the left over goodness and even they tasted great.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My recipe is to slice the backstraps or sirloin into very thin steaks across the grain and at an angle to make them bigger.
1) Season about 1 to 2 cups of all purpose flour with tablespoon or two of onion powder, garlic powder, salt and fresh ground black pepper;
2) dredge the meat in the flour and coat the meat thoroughly with the seasoned flour;
3) flash fry the meat in a frying pan with about 3-4 tablespoons of peanut oil;
4) cook the meat on a high heat about 2 minutes on each side (can easily burn it if not careful at this high heat);
5) serve w/ bernaise sauce on side (packets can be secure at grocery store in the sauces section)

My girls and wife fight over this about who gets the most. Take very good care to remove all sinew and fat from meat. If the meat is cleaned so that it is a solid peace of red, then there will be no gamey taste. Whitetail meat is a very mildly flavored game unless some sinew or fat has flavored it when cook. If freezer burned just cut that portion off and don't cook the meat past medium (medium rare is best) and it will remain very tender. Lastly, don't season the meat until just before placing in the skillet or it will become chewy. Hint make some good bread and side dishes or the meat will be gone in very short order.

Sous vide is a good method but reverse sear is also a winner for a whole backstrap and is simple if you have a meat thermometer.

I use my electric smoker for the early cooking and stop at 118 before resting and searing.

Cook the perfect medium rare steak with Reverse Sear

Anybody that's using sous vide is almost certainly using a reverse sear as well, because if not done you get perfectly cooked (to temp) but soggy meat. It's nice too because you can go longer with a really lean cut without drying it out. That said a lot of meat will benifit greatly from some smoke, I'm with you there.

LostArra

WKR
Smoked>seared backstrap made into fajita filling with peppers and onions. Added a little cherry wood to pecan and the smoke flavor was delicious.

d47761a7efe33084b5da257021a0ba0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk