Bear meat recipes

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your favorite way to cook it ? Looking to hunt bear this spring , I’ve heard fall bear fat is better as their diet is better then but I’m preoccupied with other critters during that time of year, so I’m looking of ways to cook it so I’m not after a 500$ rug thanks ,

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Actually we have found the opposite to be true. Spring bears have sucked down their fat reserves in hibernation and then hit the salad bar. I find fall bears awful. The only way we eat fall bear is trim ALL fat and make sausage. Spring can be tasty on the wood grill. Good Luck

TauPhi111

WKR
When I got a bear, I did a lot of pot roasts and stews. The only thing I cooked hot and fast (and to proper temp to avoid trichinosis) were the back straps and maybe a few steaks from the hind quarter. The backstraps were very good (comparable to a deer backstrap cooked through) and the steaks were OK. The stews and pot roasts were very good as well. This was before I got super adventerous with my game cooking though, and I used a local game processor that didn't leave me with a wide array of cuts. Bear does make excellent sausage and I had a pile of brats made that were a hit with everyone. I took them to college football tailgates (I was a grad student then) and even the sorority girls ate them (I don't think they knew what it was until I told them, but even after they were going back for more).

I've gottem much more adventerous with my game cookery since then, and if I'm lucky enough to get another bear I'd do a number of other things: With the backstraps I'd do german schnitzel or jagerschnitzel. Osso bucco with the shanks. Bear would likely make excellent carnitas for tacos with it's fat content. I'd definitely experiment with more types of sausages and summer sausage. Smoking the ribs would probably be really good. For that matter, slow cooked pulled bear bbq would also be good (I have done that). I'm not a huge fan of cured pork ham, but people also often make whole smoked bear hams.

If you're not familiar with Hank Shaw, google "Hunter Angler Gardener Cook" and check out his website. He has a few good looking bear recipes on there as well.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
the best piece of bear meat i have ever eaten was cooking in a camp fire coal bed. simply spiced with steak sprinkling seasoning..and wrapped in foil. it was shocking how good it was. it ranks in top five wild game mouthfuls of food..ever for me.

when i get some at home, i always do some Indian or thai inspired curry. a slow braise insures thorough cooking and keeps it tender for me.

Valeriecat

Banned
Charcoal Grilled Leg of Bear:
1. Prepare leg, making sure all fat is
trimmed
2. Sprinkle or rub all sides of the
trimmed leg evenly with spices
3. Prepare charcoal grill for low to
medium heat or an indirect-heat set
up
4. Place leg on grill and cook slowly
for 6-10 hours or until desired
doneness, turning occasionally and
re-seasoning
5. Allow bear meat to reach an
internal temp of 160 degrees F
before consumption

Trial153

WKR
I brine, net and smoke the hinds into hams. Might keep some loin for stew and fajitas....the rest goes to grinds.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
it seems to be a regional thing

here in NC, the fall/winter bears are good eats. I like them cooked simple, season and grill. They make GREAT sausage as well, no pork needed.

I hunted spring bear in BC and was able to bring back some meat (to the consternation of the outfitter - not the norm there it seems) - it wasn't as good as NC bear, but made fine eats

Likely all depends on how drawn down they are from hibernation and what they have been eating

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
One of the best meals I’ve ever had was a bear pot roast I did up in a Dutch oven. It was a fall bear from here in Michigan. Eating lots of berries at that time.

Dutch oven/pot roast recipes I’ve had growing up in Ontario were the best way to do it. I’ve also had good sausage from bear. The tacos idea sounds great and everything I’ve ever cooked from Hank Shaw’s books has been awesome (mostly duck and venison recipes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I made bear pastrami and corned bear the past two weeks and both were excellent.

The coarse grain of the bear meat makes it a great fit for these two recipes.