Discada cooking? (plow disc)

OP
B

boom

WKR
These things look amazing!

Lotta models to choose from. Which one is right?

i saw that powder coated one when i was searching. for me, it seemed to far removed from the original cowboy experience. personally, i would have loved making mine, but with my skills and available parts, it was problematic. i just want mine to get all crusty and used looking..something i can prop on three rocks over a bed of coals if it was the heat option. that fabricated one; i cant imagine putting that over a open fire.

i have a wok burner, which is useful for this disc and my actual wok.

i got the 18" because most of the time that will be enough..i bet i could cook fast for four. i could do 8 big burger patties easy, but i would have to keep moving them about...this things gets hot in the middle drastically.

OP
B

boom

WKR
still doing 90% cooking in the backyard.

not the best tool for bacon. well, not strip bacon.

corn beef hash..yes. pretty good.
fuji4 004.jpgfuji4 007.jpg

OP
B

boom

WKR
Now that you’ve put it through it’s paces, how are you liking it?

i like it a lot. i have to get out of the wok mindset where i get the burner on "afterburner" and let it rip. there is way more finesse involved. there is nothing you can do about 90% of the heat being deadnuts center. but i am learning to move the food around. it is an active participant sport. i think setting it in a campfire propped up on rocks will be awesome (more even heat over a bigger area of the disc). i imagine just needing a thin layer of ambers/coals.

i'm gonna slide it into my outdoor grill and try to make a paella soon. the thing is a lot of fun to use. it feels very rustic. it will be even better in the backcountry where i can take a paper towel and simply wipe the thing clean by pitching the food bits over the edge and into the fire. . i cant do that in my backyard. it will be a billion times easier doing the dishes in the wild.

I've had one of these that I got from Mexico when we were living there. Chop up small pieces (1/2 inch chunks) of pork, peppers, onions, potatoes and add a few tubes of Mexican Chorizo in with that mixture and you have one heck of a filling to put in corn tortillas. Can make in big batches to feed a good sized crew (we have a BIG disco). Making myself hungry!

OP
B

boom

WKR
I've had one of these that I got from Mexico when we were living there. Chop up small pieces (1/2 inch chunks) of pork, peppers, onions, potatoes and add a few tubes of Mexican Chorizo in with that mixture and you have one heck of a filling to put in corn tortillas. Can make in big batches to feed a good sized crew (we have a BIG disco). Making myself hungry!

this was one of the first uses. mexican chorizo is amazing and scary all at the same time..haha..i hope i NEVER watch them make that stuff..that is one curtain i dont want a peek behind. :)

AdamW

WKR
I've seen this thread a handful of times and never clicked on it. Then thought "Hey I wonder if that is anything like those Skottle grills the overland vehicle peeps are using. Yup. :D

I'd really like a takedown propane version of one of these for travel and camping or throw it on the deck during the week. Something like the Skottle that I could also throw down on a bed of coals would be cool.