Discada cooking? (plow disc)

boom

WKR
in El Paso, we called them Deesco.

i just ordered one from Albuquerque. it looks very unique. i have a wok and a burner; i figured the burner set on lower heat would be great for the Disc. for the record, warming tortillas on a wok is less than ideal. :)

you see; i'm going elk hunting this sept. prepping for a 15 night + stay. we will have the luxury of camping next to a truck, we are not backpacking it in. (yay!)

any disc-cooks out there? any tips and lessons learned?

i ordered it early in case there is a learning curve to it. plus i could get it seasoned well by then.

Cook a lot of bacon in it to start with.

Mine doesn't take a lot of heat to get hot. I'll typically turn it up to medium heat to warm up and cook closer to low.

Did you order it from Southwestdisk.com?

After seeing mine(made by a buddy), my dad ordered one from them, and I sent one of theirs to a buddy for his birthday. They both love them. I bought one of their lids, and it's pretty handy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

boom

WKR
Cook a lot of bacon in it to start with.

Mine doesn't take a lot of heat to get hot. I'll typically turn it up to medium heat to warm up and cook closer to low.

Did you order it from Southwestdisk.com?

After seeing mine(made by a buddy), my dad ordered one from them, and I sent one of theirs to a buddy for his birthday. They both love them. I bought one of their lids, and it's pretty handy.

yea!! that is where i got it from! i have a lid for my wok already, so i think i got that covered (pun!! a PUN!)

i was spending too much time looking for a plow disc locally, then would still need stuff welded. i like Southwest disc cuz they had regular (non horse-shoe) handles. i like the generic ones better.

OP
B

boom

WKR
thanks..i hope to throw a BLT party soon. bacon galore..

my brothers GF's dad live in Abq..and getting one bought for me was like herding cats. $15 shipping was cheap considering the logsitics of three levels of undependable people was gonna get me.

I'm thinking of buying one from them for myself next. My disc is only good for a few people. I need a bigger one for get togethers.

MIKEYB

WKR
My wife got me one several years back, just the disc and I paired it with a burner from a turkey fryer. Its great for small groups and its size. It often finds its way to base camp.

For fathers day my wife got me the 4 burner Blackstone griddle, that's about all I cook on anymore and Don't get in as much trouble for making a mess in the kitchen.

I'm looking at a 2 burner for camping and use the disco for frying chicharones and what not.

sveltri

WKR
This thread cost me an hour watching youtube videos, made me extremely hungry, and will probably cost me some money on a Discada. Thanks!

Fajitas are the best out of a disco!

I like to cut up strips of game meat, add onion and bell pepper, cut up 1 jalapeño per batch depending on how hot you want it, mix it all in a big ziplock bag by batch depending on how many you’re cooking for, add seasoning, oil, and I always throw in some worchecster sauce. You can make a head of time and leave them in the ziplocks to soak for 1-5 days in a cooler, or make them fresh on site.

Add tortillas, sour cream and cheese and you’re eating good!

Trial153

WKR
me: wtf is a discada?
me 30 seconds after goggle: I have to have one of those.

Fajitas are the best out of a disco!

I like to cut up strips of game meat, add onion and bell pepper, cut up 1 jalapeño per batch depending on how hot you want it, mix it all in a big ziplock bag by batch depending on how many you’re cooking for, add seasoning, oil, and I always throw in some worchecster sauce. You can make a head of time and leave them in the ziplocks to soak for 1-5 days in a cooler, or make them fresh on site.

Add tortillas, sour cream and cheese and you’re eating good!
Yup...done this many times. It's the way to do camp fajitas!

Camp breakfast is awesome in a disco too. Potatoes, onions, bacon/sausage, and eggs all cooked together. Add Mexican biscuits (tortillas), and you're golden!

ShakeDown

WKR
My father made mine years ago... won’t go truck camping without it.

f8c1c1319b16142b68aa7b3e7a22b63c.jpg

OP
B

boom

WKR
My father made mine years ago... won’t go truck camping without it.

f8c1c1319b16142b68aa7b3e7a22b63c.jpg

that looks awesome!! that pan looks perfectly SEASONED.

my pan should get here tomo..err...MANANA!! i cant wait to suss it out.

OP
B

boom

WKR
this thing is here!! it is ridiculously cool. the welds are beyond anything i could have pulled off.

i cant wait to try it.

Cliff rsz 002.jpgCliff resz.jpg

KJH

WKR
My dad made several a few years ago out of the largest disk blades we had in the iron pile... 30 inchers. They turned out great and we use the heck out of mine in the summer. I set it on a turkey fryer burner. It took a while to get it "seasoned" to my liking. The trick is not getting it too hot. My only complaint is how heavy it is.

I take it to hunting camps that I can drive to for making big group meals. We use it for bacon, sausage, fajitas, burgers, gyro meat, donuts, potatoes, onion rings, taco meat, hush puppies, stir fry, and fish frys. It doesn't take much oil to fry the fish and you can keep a lot hot once its done cooking. I love cooking for a group on it.

Plan a fajita party for your whole neighborhood to use up last years game meat. I marinade the old stuff and then make a lot of it for a big group.

OP
B

boom

WKR
yea..i used it last night. the MAIDEN VOYAGE.

took me a week to figure out how to cook properly on my wok. i imagine i'll need a week with this thing. roger on the lower heat!! you need 1/10th the heat that you do for a wok..that middle section of the PlowDisc is solar hot!! first blush, i think my CampChef stove is the right amount of heat for the disc..i had my wok burner on trickle. :)

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I have used these for about 15-20 years now. I grew up on a farm in NM and used to make them for friends all the time. Now I live in a city and don't have access to a welder and such. I much prefer the disc cookers that have a lip on the edge, keeps from food sliding off. Fire Disc seems to be a popular brand as are skottle but the prices are very expensive. I recently purchased this kit from sierra trading post and is a heck of a deal:

FireDisc Shallow Cooker - 24” - Save 40%

It will seem a little steap for what it is, but I bought it primarily for the burner. The ability to lay the burner flat in two pieces is huge when packing for a trip. You can run off the little green cans and I also bought an adapter to use with my quick connect setup. The wok that came with this is ok, fairly flat. I usually prefer a little more dish shape to mine, but this is a good all in one kit for somebody that doesn't have a burner. As mentioned above I used to use a turkey fryer burner for many years but am very happy to have this two piece stand.