Dietary Restrictions

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I have a quick question and possibly a unique situation. My wife has changed her lifestyle and has been on an extremely limited diet and so far lost 25% of her body weight. She has very limited carbs, salt and sugars and doesn't want to change that and give up any ground she has made. Today we decided to take the kids on a backpack fishing trip to Idaho provided we get her food worked out. I planned on going the Mountain House route for food since I've always used that for my hunts but she's concerned about the carbs, salts and sugars. Could y’all point me towards an option that would best fit that criteria. She may have more questions after I can guide her to a few options that would fit more to her dietitian's requirements. Thanks for your help

AdamW

WKR
Take a look at the meals/food she is eating at home, buy a dehydrator if you don't already have one and go to town. I get the effort involved thing (not that much work actually) to justify buying meals, but the best dehydrated/freeze dried meals I've ever eaten are my home made ones.

One of my favorites is "spaghetti". Steamed spaghetti squash shredded/chopped, a no sugar added red sauce, ground venison, chopped peppers and mushrooms, garlic, some red pepper depending on how spicy you like. If I'm eating cheese I'll take a few packets of 100% Parmesan from a local pizza joint. Cook it all up, mix it together, throw it on dehydrator trays and dry it until done. Very similar with chili-type recipes. Taco meat dishes, and on and on. Totally doable, fun for the family/couple to do together and there's no better food than real food.

I've used freezer bags in the past but this year I'm stepping up to the zipper mylar bags with the gusseted bottom that will stand up on their own.

PS - Kick ass Mrs. Keep! Great work!

Heathers choice should work. I've been eating Paleo for almost 4 years, meal planning for backcountry trips can be hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
keep

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the meals/food she is eating at home, buy a dehydrator if you don't already have one and go to town. I get the effort involved thing (not that much work actually) to justify buying meals, but the best dehydrated/freeze dried meals I've ever eaten are my home made ones.

One of my favorites is "spaghetti". Steamed spaghetti squash shredded/chopped, a no sugar added red sauce, ground venison, chopped peppers and mushrooms, garlic, some red pepper depending on how spicy you like. If I'm eating cheese I'll take a few packets of 100% Parmesan from a local pizza joint. Cook it all up, mix it together, throw it on dehydrator trays and dry it until done. Very similar with chili-type recipes. Taco meat dishes, and on and on. Totally doable, fun for the family/couple to do together and there's no better food than real food.

I've used freezer bags in the past but this year I'm stepping up to the zipper mylar bags with the gusseted bottom that will stand up on their own.

PS - Kick ass Mrs. Keep! Great work!

She’s going to make a run at the spaghetti recipe at the house and try some other dehydrated stuff. We have time to have a few dry runs before we leave.

This fishing trip is the precursor to a hunt but have to make this go smooth with the kids first.

Thank you for offering her the encouraging words, it’s been fun to watch her successes. Years of hauling the kids on travel hockey and select volleyball took its toll but she’s sure turned the corner. I’m ready to get my bowhunting buddy back
edbfbdb32712391324ab22244a588668.jpg
669ca3495c024729dc9d1ff708368a0f.jpg

OP
keep

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Heathers choice should work. I've been eating Paleo for almost 4 years, meal planning for backcountry trips can be hard!

Rooster we were noticing the difficulties and kept searching and not finding anything. On the way to the boys hockey last night it hit me, if any one knows it would be everyone at Rokslide

Rooster we were noticing the difficulties and kept searching and not finding anything. On the way to the boys hockey last night it hit me, if any one knows it would be everyone at Rokslide

Spaghetti squash spaghetti is fantastic! We have it at least once a week. Also try it with zucchini noodles.

I keep a fairly low carb diet as well but the heathers choice meals absolutely wrecked my stomach and I thought they tasted horrible. The packaroons are really good. Have you looked into humble foods? The one meal from mountain house that sits well is the breakfast skillet. It’s got essentially no carbs and I pair it up with a low carb wrap.

Owenst7

WKR
Xwhatever on the dehydrator. I just got a 9 tray Excalibur and am super excited about it. Only made some venison jerky and Mandarin oranges so far, but it will get a lot of use prior to this hunting season.

My go-to has been the bulk section of my local grocery store (WinCo in my case). They have a lot of powdered/dehydrated ingredients that allow me to make dehydrated meals without all the preservatives, and I can play with the protein and fat content. Andrew Skurka has an ebook with some good recipes. The beans and cheese one goes on every trip. Throw a 1 oz nalgene of olive oil in there for an easy 250 Cal of pure fat, which I do for weight savings but coincidentally remove carbs somewhere else (fats are 9 Cal/gram, protein/carbs are 4 Cal/gram).

Field trip beef jerky has the highest protein/ounce that I've found, FYI. It's usually available at my Costco.

The Kirkland brand protein bars are great for snacking on a low carb diet. You could try pemmican with grass fed beef and beef tallow if she’d be into that.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Spaghetti squash spaghetti is fantastic! We have it at least once a week. Also try it with zucchini noodles.

It's great if you're a rabbit. My wife tried to have us eat that crap a few times and other than looking like spaghetti there is nothing spaghetti about it. There is a lot to be said about real food in moderation.

AdamW

WKR
other than looking like spaghetti there is nothing spaghetti about it.

That's the whole point. :D I will concur that eating it plain isn't something I do (or just piling sauce on top of it) but mixed in with some good meat sauce, it's legit.

It's great if you're a rabbit. My wife tried to have us eat that crap a few times and other than looking like spaghetti there is nothing spaghetti about it. There is a lot to be said about real food in moderation.

Rabbit? lol Couldn't be more wrong. I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I eat paleo: no wheat, grain, soy, dairy, legumes, processed sugar,low carb ect....every meal has meat/fat in it. I think zucchini noodles taste like pasta, but it's been years since I've had any of that so I could be wrong lol

Rabbit? lol Couldn't be more wrong. I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I eat paleo: no wheat, grain, soy, dairy, legumes, processed sugar,low carb ect....every meal has meat/fat in it. I think zucchini noodles taste like pasta, but it's been years since I've had any of that so I could be wrong lol

Haha, you’re definitely 100% wrong that it tastes like pasta, but with the right meat/sauce it’s its own thing. I like it.

Gr8bawana

WKR

Glad it works for you.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Take a look at the meals/food she is eating at home, buy a dehydrator if you don't already have one and go to town.

^^^^ This!

Have her make extra portions of the meals she already makes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk