How often do you pound your meat?

So I pulled out a nice deer roast from last year. I didn't feel like some fancy prep so I sliced it into steaks about 1 inch thick. I then flattened those to about half that width with a kitchen mallet and some saran wrap. Seasoned them and seared them in a medium hot cast iron skillet in garlic butter for about 1.5 mins each side.

They came out with a nice brown crust but still rare in the center. Very tender to cut and chew.

I have pounded poultry and breaded it for frying but never done a lot of red meat preparations like this and never for the grill. Makes me want to experiment more.

Any thoughts or recipes that you care to share?

ckleeves

WKR
Growing up it was a staple in our house. My mom would cook deer and elk probably twice a week like that. I rarely ever make it anymore and I’m not sure why? It’s surprisingly good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
We do that with backstrap, butterfly it and pound it out then smear cream cheese mixed with cheddar cheese, add grilled onions and jalapeños, roll it up and wrap it in bacon, we then smoke it or throw it on the bbq and it is great.

XNGWvio.jpg

4kSjzlD.jpg

dF2SRRS.jpg

YThYdTS.jpg

Last edited:

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the moral of this story seems to be pounding your meat can make you gain weight.

boom

WKR
i dont pound my meat that often. on most cuts, i prefer to strategically slice the meat against the grain to get that tender mouth feel.

I'll also vouch for the Jaccard. Using it with a proper marinade can turn a thick cut steak from a quarter into near tenderloin-like texture!

TauPhi111

WKR
only once a day???

Those are rookie numbers.......you gotta pump those numbers up!!!!!

Damn it! Beat me to the punch. Guess I'll just offer up a recipe then.

I've been doing venison parmesan a lot this past year. Also check out Hank Shaw's venison Jagerschnitzel.

OP
Desk Jockey
So I have been pounding my meat a lot lately. <rim shot> Cleaning out the freezer before bow season.

I really like the texture of the final product. The jacked was interesting but slice and pound seems to do something different. More like it breaks down the meat versus just cutting a gazzilon holes in it.

The jacard will see some use but I am going to keep pounding my meat because I like it better.