Beer can cookers

JP100

WKR
Who out there has used a few beer/soda can cookers?

I have made a couple and just used them around the house for 'fun', but thinking of getting a bit more serious on cutting weight this summer and using one with a wee titanium cup.

Whos actually used them in the field?

They seem to be one of the lightest options and more or less free.

found this article which seems to have a few designs and tests, Hop-can Stoves: How to make 5 ultralight bikepacking stoves - BIKEPACKING.com

Thoughts??

I have cooked quite a bit on them. Heated a lot of water on them too. They work for sure. Just be sure to put your pack and gear well away from where you are cooking. I accidentally bumped one off a rock and caught the woods on fire. Along with everything else within about 10 feet. I happened to be working and only had a cruising vest. But, it made me realize that had I been hunting, my bow and pack likely would have been burnt.

Anyways, I use a bottle top now. Not because of that. I just like them better as I actually do more cooking now versus just heating water.

chindits

WKR
If you are talking about alcohol stoves made from beverage cans, I use to favor them with caldera cones. However, elevation and cold weather makes them so slow that they were only practical for me during the summer scout. Come hunting season I don’t have time to dink with slow methods. I need hot coffee in the morning faster then I can dress and gear up. In sub zero weather I need hot food and drink in me at night faster then it takes to get my sleep system set up.

Beendare

WKR
I've used them messing around....then made one of those little wood stoves with the fan too....I think they call it a sierra stove if I remember correctly. Warning, these are really cool...and pretty efficient...but they blacken your pots pretty bad....and can leave the inside of your tent smelling a little sooty.

There used to be a site with a bunch of these...search "Zen Stoves" and it should come up.

I like dinking with this stuff on backpacking trips. Hunting trips no....I don't want the extra effort when hunting.

Last edited:
OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I should add this will be for spring/summer trips only, and altitude is not an issue here, 6000 feet is about as high as I go/need to go here. and will be hunting alpine only so not wood/fuel to burn.

I might have to have a play around this s[ring and see what I think, for 2-3 day trips they are just so darn light its hard to ignore them

Ironman8

WKR
I’ve taken my Caldera Cone setup on the last 3 elk hunts I’ve been on...one in first season rifle in Idaho and two in archery Colorado up to 12000 feet. Haven’t had any trouble at all getting it to work. My hunting partners would have their water boiled in 3 mins or so while mine took somewhere around 6-7 mins to boil 2 cups. To me, it’s not that bad of a difference. However, the setup of the caldera cone does take a couple more mins on top of that.

I do love the system for its light weight and it’s versatility (fuel sources) but I bought a Pocket Rocket and will probably test that out this year. It’s a trade off... slight weight gain for the slightly faster cook times (even though it’s not really an issue to me).

I have a few alcohol stoves I made and use, all made from soda cans. They work fine and are nice on backpacking trips, day trips, scouting and emergency truck stoves. I use small aluminum or titanium cups/pots with them, but they work ok on larger pots too.

Once fire season hits the stove has to have a positive shut off, so I switch to canister stoves; which is basically all hunting season. I have never been checked but don't tempt fate or a ticket.

Canister stoves are easier and faster, and I re-fill my canisters with butane so have a full can every trip. That said there is a place for alcohol as well. Both boil water fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk