DIY Paper Map

mtholton

FNG
I use a number of mapping services (Onyx, Google etc). I'd like to have a couple of printed versions of my electronic maps. Does anyone print their own? I could buy the GMU unit, but since I'm only hunting in 5% of it.. I just would rather have a few areas close up vs a large overview of the whole unit.

What service do you use? Any specific paper selection etc?

WoodBow

WKR
You can use mytopo.com to make a custom map. About $20.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
GAIA MAPS let you print out custom maps, ive printed out several with different overlays on them for hiking trips, it works great..and you can zoom in or out to print out...

FlyGuy

WKR
Caltopo is the best ive found. Once you have all the layers and waypoints you want saved you can export it as a PDF in various paper sizes up to 36x48. I just email that over to my local UPS store and they print and laminate it for me. I usually get a big one to use in the truck/basecamp; which is really handy for trying to figure out what "Plan C" is going to be. Then I make out some smaller ones that are specific to an area of focus that I laminate and carry with me.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
If you want a large format custom map, talk to any blueprint places in your area. They'll print you what you need on custom paper if you provide the pdf.

I use ArcGIS professionally, so I made a few custom maps for my hunting camp. One is a 3' x 4' zoomed in 24k USGS topo. I had the blueprint place print it and then laminate it with a dry-erase friendly coating. It hangs in camp now and we can draw out our hunt plans.

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Huntstand app just starting doing maps. Can mark whatever you want then have it printed. Haven't ordered one yet but I'm gonna try it out.

JP100

WKR
Printed plenty of wee maps, usually just on A4, do it double sided.(dont use your mapping programs here)

once printed just cover with wide clear tape, cheaper than lamination and allows the map to 'fold' up better and waterproof.

LionHead

WKR
+1 for Cal topo...it's a big plus being from CA but the guy who started it has mapped pretty much all the US. Some are older usgs some are newer. My local print shop only does black and white and the mapping/serveyor shop in town closed.

Once you add the layers and waypoints you want you can pick print PDF and add as many "new page" as you want. it'll give you a zoomed out image with the out line of how much map you get on 8.5x11 or whatever paper size you choose. I lay those in a quad or strip (trip dependant) and use ninja powers to line up the index lines. I print em on ol school plain paper and then it's cut and paste time with scissors and clear packing tape. Makes a decent map.

I just pulled one out of my first hunting trip 3 years ago and took my GF into the are for a scouting trip. 3 years and 4 or 5 trips and that scotch taped sucker is still kicking for basically nada$$