Kifaru Lite Frame Upper Load Shelf Attachment Points

Squirrels

WKR
Saw in the multiple page thread "Insight on new kifaru frame?" thread where a guy sent his frame to Native Textiles to have attachment point added to attach a load shelf/load panel/whatever else in a higher position. It inspired me to do this to mine. Pretty quick and easy fix, if your machine will punch through the frame sheet this is simple. Remove the stays first, sew the plastic common loops to the horizontal piece of webbing first and then sew that to the frame sheet. I thought this needed its own thread. This is the one thing I didn't understand why the left of this frame. I would guess, merely a guess, they will eventually start including this.

KifaruLoadPoints.jpg

twall13

WKR
This is the main reason I didn't feel like the new frames are an "upgrade" from my current Hunter frame. Nice job.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the reason they left them off is the realization that getting the load up higher is easily achieved by simply tightening up a compression strap to use the bag or the quarter panel to hold the meat up higher from the bottom. And, they had to design the quarter panel because the topic of having that gap has already been hypothesized to death. I've heard Nalgene bottles, fuel canisters, etc... have been poking people when being described on the internet. Even though a Nalgene will only fit flush through mine, without a bag around it, directly below the carbon cross stay. Much less with a tight bag around it. Fuel canister I didn't even try. Because I know better after trying the nalgene.

My point is they were charged with making a lighter frame. They did that but, still offered the versatility to run things just like you did on previous frames. They also knew they had to make a Quarter panel type offering to keep internet lore from ruining the product. Because it is obvious that many on the internet go by what they heard instead of what they know. And, the most requested thing would be a way to keep things from "poking" you through the frame gap. Also, It should be noted that if you intend to get 100 pounds of meat on these frames when using the shelf, the upper attachment did not leave enough room to do so. So, my personal opinion is there are a couple reasons they left them off.

You can't make everyone happy. And, if I had a machine capable of that, i would do the same modification as I use my frame for more then elk hunting. But me and you are different then most here. Who carry meat in their bags. So, they kept cost as low as possible, weight to a minimum, and made it where every body could be happy. Great work btw and God Bless

WoodBow

WKR
What industrial sewing machine do you have? Any chance its a Singer 111?

I am not the OP but I have a 111w153.

I mentioned it in the other thread and I will mention it here too. I built a copy cat of these frames and greatly regretted copying the kifaru design to the point of not adding the load shelf attachment points. I used them all the time on my duplex. A "remedy" is that another piece of webbing will fit through the ladderloc that the shoulder strap strap runs through on the back side of the frame. So you can make a load panel that just has straps on the bottom, with no buckles, and run those through the shoulder strap ladderlocs. It's not as high as squirrel's mod, but close.

However I agree with WV Mountaineer, that 2 or 3 compression straps will get the job done no problem. I strapped a 45# bumper plate to mine with 2 straps making an X and one going horizontal, bisecting the X. I can jump up and down and it does not wiggle.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great machine WoodBow! I've been searching CL just about every day for a clean 111 series, no luck though. The 153 has reverse also doesn't it?

WoodBow

WKR
That's a great machine WoodBow! I've been searching CL just about every day for a clean 111 series, no luck though. The 153 has reverse also doesn't it?
Afraid no reverse. Id be set if so. My juki ddl 552 doesn't either. But i did get both of them for free! Maybe santa will bring me a consew 206 rb5

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great mod, I hope it works out well for you. Thanks for posting the pic and info.

I too was a little disappointed at the lack of the upper connection points and have a remedy idea that I've not tried yet. I don't have a decent sewing machine and don't trust my hand sewing skills for the durability needed so I am planning to try a strap. I figure a compression strap with a k-clip connected to the loop at top of stays and a ladder lock or buckle combo at the bottom will provide an attachment point that can be adjusted to any desired height. A pair of straps would be removable, adjustable and could be used as compression straps when upper points aren't needed. We'll see....

Great mod, I hope it works out well for you. Thanks for posting the pic and info.

I too was a little disappointed at the lack of the upper connection points and have a remedy idea that I've not tried yet. I don't have a decent sewing machine and don't trust my hand sewing skills for the durability needed so I am planning to try a strap. I figure a compression strap with a k-clip connected to the loop at top of stays and a ladder lock or buckle combo at the bottom will provide an attachment point that can be adjusted to any desired height. A pair of straps would be removable, adjustable and could be used as compression straps when upper points aren't needed. We'll see....

That is a great idea.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Last night I decided to see if my Elna SU 62 would punch through the frame sheet so I could add the upper attachment points like Squirrels did. I was very happy when the machine (using a Schmetz Jeans neelde) punched right through the sheet and webbing! So I added the attachment points and am super happy with it. Thanks for the idea Squirrels!