Frankenpack: Exo K2 and Kuiu 7200

ghost338

FNG
We've had our share of frankenpack threads over the years, might as well add this one to the list. This project develop because I wanted to use the K2 frame with a larger bag that had a horseshoe zipper. I was stuck between the 2000 being too small and Exo not offering larger bags with the opening I wanted. After researching all the other bags on the market, I really liked the Kuiu bag layout. The 5200 size would have been sufficient, but the 7200 popped up in the classifieds first. So here goes.

First things first. The lid of the 7200 is massive and not always necessary, so I clipped the plastic piece that holds the lid on and replaced it with a single gate keeper. Now I can add or remove the lid if I want.

01_Lid.jpg

02_Lid.jpg

Next I needed some webbing on the bottom of the bag at the same width as the K2 frame strap ladder lock. I removed a few stitches and inserted some webbing. A quick little sew and the bag now has webbing.

03_Bottom.jpg

04_Bottom.jpg

05_Bottom.jpg

After taking a number of measurements and double, triple, quadruple checking everything, I made a template and cut some cordura that would serve as the "sleeve" for the frame. This piece gets folded in half and sewn together with velcro on one half.

06_Template.jpg

07_Template.jpg

08_Template.jpg

Continued in post #2…

Last edited:
OP
G

ghost338

FNG
The next step was the trickiest. Not difficult, but patience is important. I removed a couple inches of stitching from each side of the bag and in the middle. This was so the ends and top of the sleeve could be sewn into the bag.

09_Top.jpg

The final product after sewing.

10_Top.jpg

Other than removing some stitching and sewing the extra sleeve into the place the bag was not modified. It can now work equally well with an Exo or Kuiu frame.

11_Top.jpg

Here's a front and side pic of the bag assembled on the frame. I'm surprise how small this bag compresses. It fits withing the K2 frame.

12_Back.jpg

13_Side.jpg

Bottom attachment point.

14_BStrap.jpg

Longer webbing and quick release hardware is not required to attach the bag to the frame, but I wanted the ability to strap something under the bag if necessary.

15_BStrap.jpg

Continued on post #3…

OP
G

ghost338

FNG
Side attachment consists of some webbing, a triglide, and an extra buckle. Fully removable and adjustable from both ends of the strap.

16_SStrap.jpg

17_SStrap.jpg

Picture of the top attachment with the sleeve over the bag.

18_Top.jpg

Two more straps and quick release hardware allows the bag to be used in sling mode. Again, fully adjustable and removable.

19_Top.jpg

20_Top.jpg

And if I don't want the bag, I can run the frame with just the crib.

21_Crib.jpg

I have a few other modifications planned, but this is a start.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
WOW, I love seeing the ingenuity of people who are willing to try something different, that looks like a great setup, definitely worth the effort

OP
G

ghost338

FNG
As a follow up, total weight penalty for the extra sewn material, hardware, and strapping is right at 3 oz.

Straps.jpg