Trekking pole threaded insert mod

colonel00

WKR
Inspired by Luke and some others that I have seen, I wanted to make my trekking poles more versatile. I am already going to use them not only for hiking but to pitch my SL5. Still, there was more that could be done. I really like having shooting sticks depending on the hunting situation and this seemed like a slam dunk. Unlike others, I didn't want to just insert a piece of all-thread as I like the idea of having the flush top not only to palm the pole when descending down a hill but also so I didn't want that thread sticking out when I use the pole to pitch the tent. So, I decided to get some inserts.

I picked up these inserts from Home Depot and a piece of all-thread.

IMG_2170_zps61c1391d.jpg

I didn't do any precise drilling or crazy measuring as I didn't really know what I would be drilling into. All I did was make sure I was in front of the pin that holds the strap in. From there I drilled out a hole just smaller than the insert. With a little care the insert is screwed in. It bulged the rubber a little but it isn't too bad. I may try to trim that up but I think it is fine as it is.

IMG_2171_zpscb097449.jpg

From an old set of shooting sticks I pulled off the yoke and hacked off a couple pieces of all-thread (obviously not measured very precisely.

IMG_2172_zps9789d7cd.jpg

Tada, shooting sticks. I could also do the same with a yoke from a monopod shooting stick but hell if I couldn't figure out where I strategically placed it so I wouldn't forget it.

IMG_2173_zps4fb6ad38.jpg

Double bonus, I now have monopods that can be used with any camera with a threaded mount as well as a GoPro.

IMG_2174_zpsa804117a.jpg

IMG_2175_zps64ea60e9.jpg

IMG_2176_zps2e1a4460.jpg

Anyway, I will have to report back once I actually get a chance to use these in the field but I figured that maybe somebody out there might find it helpful.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet, very creative! How do the t-poles work with the SL5? My first season using the SL5 however I don't believe my Z-poles are long enough.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Well, some people get an extension pole so they only have to use one trekking pole. I have found that with the poles I have, I can take out the bottom section of one pole and then marry them together and it is plenty high. Now, obviously this puts the poles out of commission while the tent is up so that is something that will have to be considered. Really though, I figure that I will either be able to find a branch or hang the SL5 if I really wanted to keep the poles with me for hiking and as shooting sticks. The only time this would be an issue is if I was hunting alone above the tree line or if I was hunting with someone that didn't have poles but I think I would just give them a set to use. Just depends on the situation. I can always carry in the SL5's pole and still have the trekking poles as a backup too.

These are Black Diamond Trail Shocks. I think in the pic I had it extended out to 80" or farther.

IMG_2177_zps8599d469.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use anything on the inserts before putting them in the grips? I think some JBWeld or something would give me some piece of mind for strength in that area... Great job looks great!

Mike

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Nah, I haven't used any adhesive to this point. I might at some point though. The inserts are in there pretty tight as they are but I agree that a little glue would add a little security.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Great idea. Do the insert nuts just push in, or do they thread in? Gonna have to look at my MSR Overland t-poles and see if this is an option for me.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
They thread in but not like it was a solid piece of material. I don't really know what all was in there as the rubber cover makes it hard to see. I do know that the colors and material that was coming out as I was drilling changed as I hit some plastic, some rubber and on one I got some fabric or strap a little. Regardless, the inserts took some effort to thread in and will be nice and solid once I use some epoxy. Worst case, you could drill a little bigger and just push them in and let the epoxy fill the void.

Oh, and I used a 5/16" drill bit which worked well for those particular inserts.

Neat ideas all around!

One concern would be the handle of the pole on the ground if you have rodents around as they will eat on the salty grips.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
like the Go Pro mount, i just used duct tape to hold one of the universal mounts on one of my poles, but those threads look a lot more versatile. Very nice job!

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I just cross my trekking poles to use as shooting sticks.

I've been doing that too, for years. Works great. If I had the yoke piece off of a monopod, I might do this to one side, just to have a monopod option for quick shots while hiking. I often hike with only one trekking pole, so I have the other hand free for my rifle or binos.