DIY Pullouts, pouches and pockets

yup, you were right colonel!
running around the house excited, showing off a brand new DIY pouch,only raises eyebrows
but thanks for the inspiration!

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
yup, you were right colonel!
running around the house excited, showing off a brand new DIY pouch,only raises eyebrows
but thanks for the inspiration!

Did you at least remember to grab yourself a beer to revel in your achievement?

dog812

WKR
I am going to dig this up cause it is a great thread and I am just learning..
Can you explain the zipper part again. How do you add the second pull in the middle?

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I'll try to explain it now but I'll post some pictures in a few days of how I do it now. Basically, I buy zipper by the foot now so there's no pull on it when I start. I actually just leave it "on the roll" until I'm done with the first line of stitching and then cut it to length. Then proceed with the second and third lines of stitching. When it comes to the fourth line of stitching on the zipper, I just pull the zipper apart and I don't have to worry about the inside out mess. Once that is complete, put on your pull or pulls as you'd like. I've found that two pulls on smaller pullouts is just kind of a waste but nice on bigger ones.

I hope that makes sense. I've actually got some pullouts ready to sew that I'll take some photos of the process and post.

I'm guessing that's what you are asking but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by adding the pull in the middle.

bganz

FNG
This is one of my favourite threads of all time. I have my girlfriend's mom bringing her sewing machine next time she's Inc town and I've started ordering materials. Thanks so much for all the time you've put in. If you could add an update to how you do the zippers, that would be unreal. Here are a few questions for whenever you have time. Are you still using #8 zippers? What's your favourite material for making the pullouts? Have you tried Cordura or anything other material? Do you buy zipper pulls separately and pull the tabs off and replace them with paracord? Do you have any favourite companies for zippers/fabric? Thanks again for everything! The girlfriend is mildly shocked I'm wanting to start sewing lol

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
I just use #3 zippers for lightweight pullouts. #5 maybe if I was doing heavier stuff like Cordura. #8 would just be huge and overkill for pullouts really.

As far as materials, silnylon is fine and I also like using DWR coated ripstsop nylon as well. The good thing about silnylon is it won't fray when you make cuts so you don't have to use a hot knife to cut it. However, DWR coated ripsstop is a little lighter I think and a little less slippery to sew.

Yes, I buy the pulls separately along with zipper by the foot. I don't pull the tabs off, I just run the cordage through the tab.

DIYgearsupply.com is a place I've used several times. You can possibly find things cheaper in places but this is a one-stop shop for everything you'd need.

Great thread.
I've made pull outs/stuff sacks using no-see-um mesh in the post for light weight, non water proof packs for separating clothing and light weight gear that I'm not worried about getting wet.

dog812

WKR
I am brand new to sewing, so maybe I don't get it. But why do you need the special foot... What changes if you just use a normal foot and do the same sewing line? Is it just easier to space it properly.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am brand new to sewing, so maybe I don't get it. But why do you need the special foot... What changes if you just use a normal foot and do the same sewing line? Is it just easier to space it properly.
It helps keep it even, keep it folded properly, and makes it look nicer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
^^^What he said. I really like how his seam turns out and it could be very useful for "shorter" items being sewn. I'm just not sure how feasible it would be for longer stuff like for a tarp or pyramid tent.

Jeremy

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR

I'll add to this as well. The zipper foot will align the needle to two specific places in reference to the edge of the zipper. One along the outside edge of the tape and one near the zipper itself. While you could possibly configure a regular foot to do this, it just works well to use a zipper foot if you can get one for your machine.

dog812

WKR
I'll add to this as well. The zipper foot will align the needle to two specific places in reference to the edge of the zipper. One along the outside edge of the tape and one near the zipper itself. While you could possibly configure a regular foot to do this, it just works well to use a zipper foot if you can get one for your machine.
So it's just a zipper foot he's using?

^^^What he said. I really like how his seam turns out and it could be very useful for "shorter" items being sewn. I'm just not sure how feasible it would be for longer stuff like for a tarp or pyramid tent.

Jeremy

Yeah, I'm not sure. I've had a tiny play at it only.
Ive watched a couple of his videos, I believe he uses it for tarps and hammocks. He is a very patient and meticulous craftsman, far more patience than I have, so I'm not sure how translates to doing long seams.

R_burg

WKR
I'll try to explain it now but I'll post some pictures in a few days of how I do it now. Basically, I buy zipper by the foot now so there's no pull on it when I start. I actually just leave it "on the roll" until I'm done with the first line of stitching and then cut it to length. Then proceed with the second and third lines of stitching. When it comes to the fourth line of stitching on the zipper, I just pull the zipper apart and I don't have to worry about the inside out mess. Once that is complete, put on your pull or pulls as you'd like. I've found that two pulls on smaller pullouts is just kind of a waste but nice on bigger ones.

I hope that makes sense. I've actually got some pullouts ready to sew that I'll take some photos of the process and post.

I'm guessing that's what you are asking but I'm not 100% sure what you mean by adding the pull in the middle.
Hey this might be a stupid question, but how do you cut the zippers?

My mom sews and I was telling her about these pullouts and she thinks it would be a fun project, but shes all worried about how to work with the zippers.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Hey this might be a stupid question, but how do you cut the zippers?

My mom sews and I was telling her about these pullouts and she thinks it would be a fun project, but shes all worried about how to work with the zippers.
They're just plastic teeth on the zippers so decent scissors or a rotary cutter work fine.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk