Another DIY Stove

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
You should be fairly well set and that put your stove pipe roughly 18" above which is a good. Post up some pics when you get it all put together.

dog812

WKR
Couple questions is the door... I'd like the easiest, lightest door....
So many door options.. Hinges, slide in, hanging... What's the best one. I feel like the hanging Smith one looks the easiest and lightest?

Stove body rings, I was going to order them from ti goat to it'd they would make them.... What size are they if I use the burner covers?

Last edited:

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
dog812, did you end up finishing your stove? I'm wondering how your 6ft pipe works out with this stove. I'm thinking about building one for my LBO too and trying to decide between 6ft or 7ft.

Also, has anyone ordered from here before? It looks like the perfect amount of material for a 12" stove and 7ft pipe and is less than half the unit price of anywhere else I've looked.
STEEL .004 X 12" X 120" Boxed Shim Stock

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
That 1008/1010 indicates it’s carbon steel shim stock, I believe. Not stainless. Probably why it’s so much cheaper.

Jeremy

dog812

WKR
dog812, did you end up finishing your stove? I'm wondering how your 6ft pipe works out with this stove. I'm thinking about building one for my LBO too and trying to decide between 6ft or 7ft.

Also, has anyone ordered from here before? It looks like the perfect amount of material for a 12" stove and 7ft pipe and is less than half the unit price of anywhere else I've looked.
STEEL .004 X 12" X 120" Boxed Shim Stock
I didn't, the ss. Stock was double the price... I figured would cost me $250 ish, for another $100 I'll just get the lite outdoors.
Maybe next year...I'll just freeze this year.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying the Ti for the body of the stove (I did 15” long) from LiteOutdoors and the stove pipe from TiGoat after searching all over for good shimstock prices. I had great customer service from both and got to use my home made stove for the first time last weekend in the hills. Actually turned out pretty well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jeremy

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
dog812-
I do have some pictures, but struggle now to figure out getting them into a post since photobucket crapped out. I have an imgur account, but last time I tried to put pics in a thread, it just added some link instead...

Jeremy

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered some supplies for a DIY WIFI stove. SS foil for pipe and sides of the body from TiGoat. Damper/collar, legs and pipe rings from Seek Outside. And then I am planning on using SS cookie sheets for the top and bottom. It will be about 11"w x 14"d x 10"h for the body, probably bigger than I need, but I can always go smaller. Am less than $200 for all the parts and all I need to do is cut some holes in the top and bottom and then make a door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Nice-I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Having a stove in the tent when it’s cold is definitely good.

Jeremy

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I do have a Kni-Co Trekker stove that has seen a little use, but obviously not very portable for backpacking... this the reason for a DIY collapsible!!

Great name BTW from another Jeremy. Born in the mid 70s by chance? Almost 10% of my HS graduating class was named Jeremy!

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
bbrown, do you use zinc coated threaded rods and hardware or do you splurge for stainless? Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying out this project.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I grabbed some stainless wing nuts but got regular allthread that I’m sure was just the zinc coated type. I know about the dangers of the “fumes” that come off that when heated up, so I just made sure to keep clear of it for a while when I burned the stove in.

Jeremy

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
I grabbed some stainless wing nuts but got regular allthread that I’m sure was just the zinc coated type. I know about the dangers of the “fumes” that come off that when heated up, so I just made sure to keep clear of it for a while when I burned the stove in.

Jeremy

Same here - figured after the initial burn there wasn’t too much to worry about. At the same point when I heat the all-thread to bend the hooks with a torch the material changes color and I can almost see the temp point where the coatings seem to change/burn off and that doesn’t appear to happen during regular use so user beware... That’s my PSA (aka liability disclaimer) for the night.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly finished my DIY stove today. Similar to a TiGoat WIFI stove. Ordered SS foil from TiGoat; legs, pipe rings, and damper from Seek Outside; SS sheet for top and bottom is from a back splash piece from Menards.
d2cfc8827abaf9fab76f85e32926f977.jpg

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I cut the back splash into 4 pieces, cut off the corners, and then used a sheet metal bender to fold the edges.

f26b7f4642389884d6b11f55d8e73f9a.jpg

10423a8e4cd5609c848c29e6888e8fac.jpg

a57d8127a5b35368f56b3afce9982326.jpg

71e9fe4ad4f5f7efe95346af05bdbee5.jpg

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
It’s 13”D x 10”W x 10”H. It’s a little bigger than I need, but I figure I can always make it smaller once I get a chance to play with it some more.

fe8eb5dba19388129e700c2f44735e04.jpg