KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
8ad084239d445dd952fd469c0c0178ea.jpg
a1953f909c72b75405fc3221f449257e.jpg
fc9b66777d4ce3c41c56be087f2c8803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I also "finished" mine this week. I burned it in last weekend and made a quick attempt at a door so I could get out hunting with it for Thanksgiving. I still have to add legs and I'll probably make a better door at some point.

Thanks to everyone here for the great advice - awesome thread.

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
It’s 13”D x 10”W x 10”H. It’s a little bigger than I need, but I figure I can always make it smaller once I get a chance to play with it some more.

fe8eb5dba19388129e700c2f44735e04.jpg

You plan on putting a door on it? What's it weigh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
It’s 3 lbs, 15 oz. See pic below for door. It certainly doesn’t have a perfect seal and I need to add some more supports to hold the body tighter to the frame, so when I hang the door on the body, it doesn’t push it in. As you can see in the pics, I have 4 height positions for the door that gives me options for draft.

29ba49f88003c68a2c12e333fdaffae4.jpg

Edited weight, typo...

Last edited:

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
For tools, I used basic hand tools like a tape, square, pliers, dykes, kitchen shears, drill and assorted drill bits. Also used a dremel tool with cut off wheels and sanding discs and a crimping tool that I borrowed (looks like a bolt cutter) from work for the cable clamps.

First I started by putting together the stove body and realized that the 2' of SS foil was about 1-1/2" too short - had to reorder 3' for an extra $20.75.
*I should have taken a few pics of this.

Second, I went back and forth over the threaded rods or springs for the body support. The springs are throttle return springs than can be found at any auto parts store and weigh about 1/3 of the threaded rod but since the stove pipe and damper would be resting on the top supports and I might actually want the extra strength of the threaded rods.
attachment.php

Each of these are 13" of threaded rod, 2 wing nuts and 2 - 1" washers that I bent to grab on the end plates. 2 up top and one on the bottom. I messed up the threads on either end so there should not be a way to lose any of the pieces. These seem to give the best support but weigh a bit more.

attachment.php

At first I thought these were going to be the ticket so I drilled 3 small holes in one of the end plates so the springs would stay attached but they interfered with the stove body locking into place on the end plate and I really dd not want to cut into the stove body. So I cut off the key ring end and bent a hook to match the other side.

For now I am thinking the threaded rods on top and the springs on the bottom might be best but I am still trying out a few other ideas.

Next the stove pipe - it is a pain to get rolled up for the first time so get someone to help. Ti Goat actually drills the holes in the right spot for the damper and this actually works a lot better than I expected. I also noticed that one more stove ring would be helpful but was able to make it from the cable and clams. Ti Goat sells these for $1.75 ea and it costs about $.80 to make them if you have the clamping tool.
attachment.php

Ti Goat on the left and mine on the right - even thought the cable and clamp are slightly bigger they weigh almost the exact same .05oz different

And since I was at it I made the body rings
attachment.php
How do you cut the door? What do you make the door out of?

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
If you buy the 4pk of burner covers (2x 10” and 2x 8” diameter) then I cannibilized one of the other sized covers that I’m not using to cut the door out of. If you want to use the Ti MSR plates then just buy an extra one to cut the door out of.

The cut off wheel on a dremel tool is the best I have figured out for cutting out the door. Then use a round stone bit to polish out any imperfections as needed.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
fb40a9db40e1f45239765b3fbb79e3e9.jpg

I had a hard time cutting efficiently with the Dremel, so I drilled holes and connected the dots with the Dremel. I'm not sure whether it's the best way but it helped me with what I had to work with at the time. Then I cleaned up the imperfections as bbrown suggested.

blkqi

WKR
What do you all think of the door design on the newer Lite Outdoors stoves (larger door, damper in door)?
Also, has anyone attempted to fit a baffle in their DIY stove?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What do you all think of the door design on the newer Lite Outdoors stoves (larger door, damper in door)?

I have one and like it a lot. Large opening to fit wood into and also you can really choke back the air flow on that stove once there is a coal base which helps knock back the heat output so you're not getting chased out of the shelter. Some of the open vents/loose doors seem like they'd burn really hot all the time.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I made one with the lite outdoors type of door and I like it. It definitely provides for choking down the air flow. I also made a baffle for mine that seems to work pretty well so far. I’ve has it out a a few times this fall and it’s done well.

Jeremy

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I do-although I’m stuck trying to figure out how to get them from Imgur into threads since photobuket crapped out.

Jeremy

Napperm4

WKR
Got any pics

Here is one I’ve been messing with. Playing around with different air vents to see what gives me the best burn time.

Right now I get about 45 minutes with pine when it’s choked down. Haven’t tackled the baffle yet.

Don’t make fun of the rough work. The plan is to find the best design then get it done at work on the cnc for pretty factor.

Going to try and make / test with a baffle over the weekend.

68a484e8d6f293ae5f1dfda610927ff5.jpg

2950ba7f046ba5104c9664f61864cbd4.jpg

JigStick

WKR
this thread peaked my interest as well. I have a XL Titanium Seek Outside box stove already, but I think its a little under powered for my 16man tipi. Im going to use the wally world stove covers. But I would like to make my stove 16in deep, instead of 12in. But I'm having a terrible time finding SS foil that is wider than 12in. Anybody have a source for it? I need 16in wide x 35in long to make my stove body.