My Kifaru T1 went on a diet

gelton

WKR
I cut everything the op cut out except the snow collar pretty much as soon as I got it. Still can't bring myself to cut out the collar though.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm debating what to do with the lid on my EMR II. I have the Hunting XTL lid and its close, but not quite what I want....

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nicely done sir! I recently put my lowly USMC ILBE pack on a similar diet and lost 2.4 lbs. Went from around low 10 lbs. to upper 7 lbs. Well worth it, and good practice for down the road when I can afford a Kifaru.

That's some serious weight loss! I bet that thing looks like it went on a Hollywood diet!

i feel like m the only one who hasnt cut up my kifaru. i may break down and cut out the sleeping bag divider ive never used

Come on man, join the cool kids club. ;-)

I have hacked up a few longhunter lids, but other than that I just can't bring myself to do much more.

Wow...I need to get dicing some of those items off the Bikini and Highcamp it looks like. No reason to be carrying around all that extra weight.

bbrown

WKR
I have hacked up a few longhunter lids, but other than that I just can't bring myself to do much more.
Agreed - I saw absolutely no use for the fanny pack straps on the longhunter but the gains from trimming the small stuff off the main bag seem to be so minor its not worth the hassle. Granted I only have a BT2 bag and the nomad so there is not a ton of "fat" on either.

jlsteel

FNG
With those that cut the sleeping bag compartment out, do you guys need to pack more methodically? any problems with meat trying to sag to the bottom of pack even if you have the light stuff under it? Im tempted to cut it out.

gelton

WKR
I use a Kifaru hanging meat bag to keep the load from sagging (hangs in front of the water bladder pouch on the DT1).

Shrek

WKR
I cut my T1 bag and long hunter lid but I didn't cut my duplex frame...yet. Snow collar and divider on the bag and belt and belt pocket on lid . I did leave the sliders so I could attach things to the lid but I'll probably get around to cutting those too. I'll just cut the metal slider and leave the sewn loops that hold them. I haven't missed anything I cut. If I was crafty like Mike I'd make some bino holders out of the fabric...but I'm not so it's in a bag in the junk room.

My Longhunter lid,

Before...
qumahese.jpg

After...
a3ymu3uq.jpg

I even cut the belt pocket out!

Bag of scraps...
umuvazy7.jpg

Over half the weight is gone!

Onto the bag. I only cut the triangles off the Bikini frame...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could I see a picture or two or your modified lid? Curious what all you did. Thanks

bcimport

WKR
Gutted my MR6500. Interior pocket, compression strap, sleeping bag divider, removed the pals webbing and gutted the lid. Was a pound and a half after that and removing non essential frame buckles.

jlsteel

FNG
I use a Kifaru hanging meat bag to keep the load from sagging (hangs in front of the water bladder pouch on the DT1).

Hmm. I may just keep my sleeping bag divider and haul meat with dry bags. Probably weights about the same and maybe just cut the snow collar.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm. I may just keep my sleeping bag divider and haul meat with dry bags. Probably weights about the same and maybe just cut the snow collar.

I just cinch the bottom half up as tight as it will go to keep anything from going to low.