DIY Bear Fence

rayporter

WKR
paracord would be fine. it will hold some moisture but not enough to degrade the fence output. any time you hear the spark it is a leak of current. animals get used to the noise of the spark on any fence and will quickly figure out if there is no noise in the morning when the dew is on then the fence is off or shorted out. normally you will set up the fence in the evening and the spark is easy to see when you clip the ground wire to the stake. if it is strong you have all you can get for your 80 feet. after a trip or two you will figure it out. in the mean time, yes, the 2 oz is not a penalty to carry the tester.

some animals learn to run through between pulses too. and some animals will run through it when shocked. with wild animals i feel you get a coin flip. deer often tear my fence down. especially in the late summer when young are on their own and bucks start moving.

for many years i have just stung the poly wire around bushes to keep horses penned up when hunting. they run behind the fence year round so they dont test it often.

ski rope winders work a little better to hold the poly wire but what you found is slightly lighter and stronger. the ski rope winders are just faster to roll up wire.

it is entirely possible the insulation of your posts is not good enough. there is special insulation for fencers. for instance garden hose is very poor and will short the fence out. but i think your system will work and work well.

luck-ray