Mcr-85 copycat tent

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
uploadfromtaptalk1417037748219.jpg flames shooting out the 8' stack, happily all sparks just rolled down the sides with no burn holes. Might need a spark arrestor.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a great project but doubt I'll under take another this large any time soon. I do have full confidence that this will hold together as long as the silnylon doesn't tear. Need to sew a stake loop in the center of the door panel so I can open it half way

Manosteel

WKR
WOW! To say you did a great job is an understatement! Awesome work. I am very impressed. How much clearance do you have when you stand up, How many people do you think you could comfortably fit, what was your final weight? Did you follow MCR's dimensions exactly?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW! To say you did a great job is an understatement! Awesome work. I am very impressed. How much clearance do you have when you stand up, How many people do you think you could comfortably fit, what was your final weight? Did you follow MCR's dimensions exactly?

Just setup to seam seal I'll put it back up after thanksgiving and take some pictures with some sleeping bags for reference. My shelter did vary from the original plans because my angles were slightly off ended up a few inches taller and wider. The guy outs really help minimize the imperfections. No problem with standing room at 6'4" currently the center pole is 7'3" but will be cutting it down to 7"1 also cutting my rear down an inch. Thought longer might be better with my longer panels but that seems not to be the case. Weight on my scale( can't verify its accuracy) was 2 lb 8 oz before the stove jack and seam sealer ( probably used more sealer than most) that's without poles or stakes which were close to another 2 lbs I think. You could lighten it up some, I over engineered some parts probably. I'll try and weigh it again for you if I can find a better scale before I have head out of town for work.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just put it back on the scale looks like I added 14 oz installing the jack and sealing it up. Tent is now 3lb 6oz,center pole 13oz and the rear pole is 2oz but of course you could opt to use a trekking pole. 4lbs 14oz everything including stakes. uploadfromtaptalk1417366257731.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
uploadfromtaptalk1417376403091.jpg I'm 6'4" and can lay between the poles but didn't have much spare room. Plenty of gear room at back of tent and in front of center pole

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two cots fit about perfectly uploadfromtaptalk1417376697449.jpg This is my reason for starting this build and to me its true advantage over a golite. I can stand fully upright without kissing the pole but still limited standing room for anyone over 6'

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coats upholstery thread. Yes I've had it in rain but not in driving all day soaker, not many days like that in utah. It's going to Alaska in two days and looks like for cast rain all week

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
666876f99537cac4d44cab81a126fed1.jpg

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fully tested in Alaska with snow and winds over 30 a couple days. Slept three guys in it and stacked our gear in the go lite. No problem with standard zipper letting snow or rain in.