Mcr-85 copycat tent

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
WHAT ONE MAN CAN DO, ANOTHER CAN DO ALSO. Not sure where I heard that but used it many times during my military years to make me do things I once thought beyond my capabilities. First off thank you mcr-85 for your generosity with starting your thread and sharing plans and ideas with me. Pictures to be added shortly

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
After multiple email exchanges I felt I was ready and started ordering the raw materials. 19 yards of silnylon from bytheroll, angle measurement tool ( willing to loan this out since I only bought it for this project), 3/8 and 3/4 grossgrain strapping from strap works for tieouts and stake pockets , 10' od coil zipper from rockywoods fabrics, diy stove jack from bearpaw. Still need to order an Easton center pole

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had some hyplon and od 500d at home so do not think there is any need to order any reinforcement pieces. This is by far the biggest sewing project I've ever attempted. My old sewing machine hopefully will be up to the task. All seams will be mock felled which requires 3 stitch passes for each seam

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I travel quite a bit for work so planned to do most of this project in the hotel room after work. Yes I've gotten some crazy comments but it pass the time quickly and helps keep my sanity.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to have to work on inserting pictures more later, but this is the basic design

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414521789960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414521789960.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 877

colonel00

WKR
Very nice. As mentioned in your other thread, please take lots of pics and notes to share. I want to do this over the winter but need to decide what I want to go with.

So it looks like you will have quasi-horizontal seams?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice. As mentioned in your other thread, please take lots of pics and notes to share. I want to do this over the winter but need to decide what I want to go with.

So it looks like you will have quasi-horizontal seams?

Yes on the seams but should not be an issue when seam sealed. This was a very well thought out design to maxiumize fabric width which is really is limiting factor. My main goal is enough interior space for two cots and a stove that way I can use it for base or spike camp. I also thought with side guy outs I wouldn't have to be prefect as this would give me some tension adjustment.

Manosteel

WKR
MCR-85's tent is bad ass, I am looking forward to your project. After many emails back and forth plus the plans he sent me I was ready to get one started this winter. Wife was on board and said it would be pretty straight forward sewing job since the plans MCR-85 sent me were so detailed. BUT I picked up SL5 used for a great price so project is on hold for me.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok so basically all my pictures are on my phone and taptalk will not let upload them. Will get some help when I get home. Project is at stall anyway as I only brought the 3 back panels because I was waiting on the door zipper.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's everyone's opinion on zipper flaps? Kifaru doesn't add them but most others do. My main concern is getting it caught in the zipper when it's dark or in a rush, but being located where it is could let a draft in it's a larger #8

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple random pictures this is my fake felled seam.uploadfromtaptalk1414605930088.jpg I added stripped 550 cord loops every 18' incase I want to add a liner or nest later.uploadfromtaptalk1414606024784.jpg as you can see the seam does stitch though the exterior but the added strength and relative ease of seam sealing the silnylon makes it a no brainer for me

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished up the stake loops. Did some research and you want them as small as possible to keep tent low. Mine might be a little long so a sod cloth may be in the future.uploadfromtaptalk1414606503116.jpg used a five inch circle of 500d folded over for reinforcing the loop. Bar tacked the center and used e6000 adhesive along the edges. The edges of the 500d will get the seam sealer to help glue it and help with the pull distribution to a greater area. Surprised at the added weight could of reduced the circle size and amount of 3/4 strapping I sewed on but in my mind that's no place for a failure and I'm not counting ounces on this. Can always build another if it ends up an issue

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did some testing of adhesives and found that only silicon will stick to the silnylon fabric. By using that on the coating side of the 500d I can get them to glue together and use any of my favorite fabric adhesives (e6000) on the other side of the 500d. As a sidenote the non coated side will stick but not bond with the silicon. I'm using permetex 81730 windshield and glass sealer

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Working on the rear pole support piece. Made this out of hyplon cut into a 3 inch circle. Small strap is in front to enable a clothes line to be hung between both poles. Rear strapping helps stabilize the rear pole (trekking pole).uploadfromtaptalk1414613605091.jpg added some silicon to hyplon and tried to sew a circle. One of the difficult parts now is feeding the rest of the tent through the sewing machine to prevent fabric bunching.uploadfromtaptalk1414613792111.jpg this thin material bunches easily when sewn to heavier fabric so go slow and use hands to tension and straighten the tent as you go. Also the weight of the parts of the tent your not working with tend to work against you so stop and reposition them often.uploadfromtaptalk1414614048220.jpg after all that I still bunched it at the bottom which is what you want to avoid. 500d may have been a better choice since I could of pinned it together better. Oh well unstitched the last couple of stitches and straightened it best I could hope I can live with the results. I'll be putting another stitch around the perimeter and possibly placing a patch piece over it on the other side but will not decide that until its pitched

Stid2677

WKR
I found using fabric glue helped me keep silnylon in place while sewing, have you tried any?? Cool project.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What brand did you use? Think some of that 3m spray glue would help. Just holding it in the right spot until stitched would be real handy. I tried goop and e6000 my go to but both peeled away pretty easy after they dried