Bikini Frame Sheet

edg1967

WKR
I know this has been done before, but can't find the thread so I will put this out there for anyone interested in modifying their Bikini frame to use with the new Cargo Panel or Rambler. Not that the frame won't work with either of these bags, but this will prevent items from pushing through the stays.

I ordered some HPDE Plastic sheets through TAP Plastics (sorry, no link, but you can Google it). I ordered two pieces of 1/8" plastic that were 8" x 19" and it think it cost me around $20.00. I ordered two because I figured that if I got a different Bikini Frame and the common loops didn't match up I would have a second sheet to use. Also, I figured if I F#^*ed it up, I would have to wait for a second sheet and pay shipping twice. Some of you can probably find this locally or maybe there is a better material to use. The only stuff I could find in my town was 4'x8' sheets that were 1/4" thick and that was a bit of over-kill.

I measured it out to go behind the stays (bag side) and tuck down behind the lumbar pad. I cut it using a bandsaw, sanded & rounded the edges and cuts. I cut out notches for the common loops and attached with zip-ties. I may use Velcro straps to take it off, but don't really see myself doing that. I'll probably drill a hole in the middle top to accept a piece of 550 cord for a water bladder and/or may cut some slits in the middle back to strap a tripod in the center for running with my Cargo Panel.

I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out. It adds 8 oz. to the frame, but is still about a pound lighter than a Duplex frame. Honestly, I'm now second-guessing myself for ordering a new Duplex frame!

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 281

OR Archer

WKR
I like it. I wonder if Kydex might be a bit lighter? And you can get it in different colors also.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I like it. I wonder if Kydex might be a bit lighter? And you can get it in different colors also.

I think Kydex would work great & in fact thought about trying it for Version 2.0. I think you could get by with something thinner too.

If anyone is interested we throw away a ton of 3mm and 6mm expanded pvc material. I could send some out for the cost of shipping. Maybe USPS has a one rate envelope that is the right size. I used some 3mm to make a sheet for my Bikini.

There is a 15" x 9.5" flat rate envelope that ships for $5.90. Lets estimate that a 14.5" x 9" piece will fit inside. Is that big enough?

Last edited:

Weekender

WKR
I'm surprised Kifaru hasn't made an attachment for this yet. This isn't the first time seeing a fix for push through. I'm guessing that's why the duplex still sells well even though it does have a weight penalty using it.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
I just ordered a 2' x 4' sheet of Foliage Kydex in .080" thickness. I'm thinking it will save me a few ounces, maybe look a little better too...we know how important that is!

.080 kydex weights .54 lbs per sq/ft from what I have found.

3mm pvc is .11 in thick and weighs .38 lbs per sq/ft.

OR Archer

WKR
I'm going to try it with some kydex. Found a decent price for a 12x24 sheet in coyote brown to match my frame. Thinking of some strategic places to make some cut outs to lighten it yet keep its rigidity.

For those of you that have both the duplex and the bikini with a set up like this... can you tell a difference in the rigidity of the frame? I recently sold my bikini because I didn't like it as much as my duplex... not even close when it cam to hauling stuff, not because things pressed through the back, but because with really heavy loads I could tell a difference in the rigidity of the frame.

I also really didn't like the smaller straps and buckles on the bikini.

This is hands down the cleanest and most functional of the bikini mods I have seen... My concerns is just whether or not by the time you add 8-10oz of frame sheet and attachment... you are only saving about 12-14 ounces. I understand that 12 ounces is 12 ounces... but you still have a less rigid frame with smaller straps and buckles.

just my 2 cents

Joe

So I cut a bunch of 3mm pvc sheets to 14"x9" so the fit in a flat rate legal envelope if anyone else wants a couple I can send them out. They weight 5oz each before you trim them. They are black.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
For those of you that have both the duplex and the bikini with a set up like this... can you tell a difference in the rigidity of the frame? I recently sold my bikini because I didn't like it as much as my duplex... not even close when it cam to hauling stuff, not because things pressed through the back, but because with really heavy loads I could tell a difference in the rigidity of the frame.

I also really didn't like the smaller straps and buckles on the bikini.

This is hands down the cleanest and most functional of the bikini mods I have seen... My concerns is just whether or not by the time you add 8-10oz of frame sheet and attachment... you are only saving about 12-14 ounces. I understand that 12 ounces is 12 ounces... but you still have a less rigid frame with smaller straps and buckles.

just my 2 cents

Joe

I think the rigidity would improve if the sheet was attached with something other than zip-ties, or if there were more than four attachment points like I put on. I think a person could drill and rivet or use small bolts like one would use for a Kydex holster and it would be more rigid. I didn't really want to do that as I didn't want it to be that permanent, but I can't see that for the minimal weight penalty it would be that bad of an idea. I have a Duplex also (at least I will have it here on Monday), and was just looking for another option for my Cargo Panel. I can see how I may want to just use the Bikini with mod exclusively after a little more testing.

OP
E

edg1967

WKR
Version 2.0

My foliage Kydex came and I cut out a new sheet. I should probably spend a little more time sanding the edges and corners, but this is the result. I'm going to play with it a little more and then decide if I can live with just this or still need my Duplex.

Not much change in the weight...about half an ounce, but it looks prettier. Sorry for the side-ways pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 266

Jay03

WKR
I have both the duplex and bikini. I added a sheet of HDPE like the OP to the bikini and then removed it after a few tests. It didnt make the frame feel or carry any different in my opinion. And the point of the bikini is light weight so in order to keep things from getting through to touch my back I used a few small sections from carbon arrows to go across behind the stays. Added less then a half of an ounce. I dont use a cargo panel with the bikini because I have a duplex.

In my opinion the duplex is the way to go. I dont use the bikini at all anymore... my girlfriend uses it now. I like everything about the duplex more than the bikini except the little extra weight. But its worth it when you load it down with an elk quarter. I was not a big fan of the little hardware and straps, I dont like the way the pads on the stays flop around with extra fabric. Its a nice frame but not a versatile as the duplex in my opinion.

This was supposed to be a reply to squeekieslayers question but I guess I forgot to quote that post.