Diy megatarp

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
To give credit where it is due, this is Tim M's design with some minor modifications. I'm probably going add an annex and stove jack as well but haven't yet.

Due to the amount of requests I added the plans here:

ff6ab34f58a975479fafdd9823613973.jpg

b5362278737adcc56459c41f69631eeb.jpg

c2181e213b0be893492fd92f875d9646.jpg

7f0d2b4f43787932716074dea7db0570.jpg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've haven't noticed any negatives running an open zipper on my shelter. I'll be adding another in the rear soon also. Just curious how you would add the flap now?

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've haven't noticed any negatives running an open zipper on my shelter. I'll be adding another in the rear soon also. Just curious how you would add the flap now?
Just an additional 2" piece of material that gets held down by Velcro tabs, is what I'm thinking. Any ideas? Aren't your walls steeper than mine? I think the back end is about 45°.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you worried about wind or water getting in? I'd test it and see how much of a problem it'll be. Flap shouldn't need to be velcro closed it should provide a barrier if even only attached on a single side. A slightly stiffer material would lessen the chances it would get caught in zipper I think. I'm interested in your decision and testing for when I add my rear access zipper. I'm thinking about the wind mostly since I always try and direct the rear to wind to help stability

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you worried about wind or water getting in? I'd test it and see how much of a problem it'll be. Flap shouldn't need to be velcro closed it should provide a barrier if even only attached on a single side. A slightly stiffer material would lessen the chances it would get caught in zipper I think. I'm interested in your decision and testing for when I add my rear access zipper. I'm thinking about the wind mostly since I always try and direct the rear to wind to help stability
I'm worried more about water. It's not in a critical area though so if some water gets in it's not a game changer. I'll run a hose over it tomorrow and check it, I just seam sealed it today. BTW not sure if you are supposed to seam seal inside and outside, but I did. What holds the flap in place then?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just attach the flap at the top and along one side and the tension from staking it out at the bottom holds it place I'd think.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did mine inside and out also figured it would help with holding my stitching down side is extra wieght from sealer but that's not one my worries

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Great job! Something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Looks like it might have to wait till next spring. If you don't mind me asking what was the total cost of the project?