Adding a Rifle scabbard to EXO 5500

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

First off, I'm not proficient with a thread and needle. I can sew a button, maybe.

I've an Exo 5500, which I love. I lived out of it for roughly 22 days last fall. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of an actual rifle scabbard like eberlestock uses. My rifle took a beating in the rifle carrier that EXO offers on a hunt last year. I'm not intersted in doing that again.

Have you ever added a removable Eberle scabbard to an Exo pack? I want the scabbard to be removable and still retain 100% original functionality of the exo for archery hunts.

Right now I have the scabbard between the back and the frame and it fits a lot better than I had thought it would. The only real modification that is needed is to the top of the pack where the back hooks over the top of the frame.

Anyone offer any insight?

RBRowser

FNG
Hey guys,

First off, I'm not proficient with a thread and needle. I can sew a button, maybe.

I've an Exo 5500, which I love. I lived out of it for roughly 22 days last fall. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of an actual rifle scabbard like eberlestock uses. My rifle took a beating in the rifle carrier that EXO offers on a hunt last year. I'm not intersted in doing that again.

Have you ever added a removable Eberle scabbard to an Exo pack? I want the scabbard to be removable and still retain 100% original functionality of the exo for archery hunts.

Right now I have the scabbard between the back and the frame and it fits a lot better than I had thought it would. The only real modification that is needed is to the top of the pack where the back hooks over the top of the frame.

Anyone offer any insight?
I was wondering the same thing. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

jeffpg

WKR
Have you considered just putting in on the side of the pack inside the side straps with the side straps connected to the molle?

That sounds like it may work... I'm interested to see how well it does.

I've had Eberlestocks save the hide of my rifles more than a few times, but I'm definitely making the move to Exo very soon and the protected carry of my weapon is my only real concern. I'd figured on using a Solohunter rifle cover and Exo's weapon carry system, but although a bit heavier, your idea will certainly offer better protection.

I've rigged my eberlestock scabbard up to every bag/frame I've owned. There's enough molle that it should work.

OP
TimeOnTarget

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I hadn't considered putting it on the side as that would limit the side pockets usage. With the right fabrication, The scabbard should be able to function on the EXO just the same as a eberle with a built in one does.

I've got an idea in my head to make it work with straps and clips but I have to make sure 100% before i start hacking up my exo.

Any ideas, feel free to send them my way.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about sticking it between the pack and the frame in the load shelf area? Or, would the scabbard fit into the bottom of the Exo rifle carrier? Then use the straps like you did before. ??

OP
TimeOnTarget

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
What about sticking it between the pack and the frame in the load shelf area? Or, would the scabbard fit into the bottom of the Exo rifle carrier? Then use the straps like you did before. ??

Thats what I would like to do, Between the pack and the frame. The only modification needed would be on the pack, where it hooks over the top of the frame. My idea right now is to just put straps and buckles between the frame and the pack and not use the part on the pack that hooks over the frame. But I'm not 100% on this yet.

Oregon Pack Works Scabbard... 1.2lbs
Rifle-Scabbard---Open-Range_large.jpg

EXO Frame
frame-front-mc.jpg

Here's what I'd do....
On bottom of EXO Frame you'll see the two load panel attach points...
Attach OPW scabbard via those and attach a couple straps to transpose and replace the load panel attach points to other side of scabbard...... so I'd be like the scabbard IS a load panel or meat shelf.....

visualize thier meat shelf.....I'll help you....
meat-shelf-456x456.jpg

Just use the molle/PAL straps to attach straps (like they use on the exo meat shelf)

Use G-Hooks and straps on top of pack to attach straps between frame & scabbard to hold scabbard centered on frame.

Easy peazy.
Use the same method on Kifaru frames as welll.

Hope this helps,
Hunt'nFish

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Eberlestock makes a few quality add-on scabbard.

RBRowser

FNG
Did you ever make any progress on this??? I have a 3500 and would love to do the same thing.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering if the scabbard could be mounted on the diagonal so that the rifle butt is over your shoulder. Could miss the entire pack to frame interface and keep the integrity of the EXO system intact. Would also prevent hacking. Just a thought.

OP
TimeOnTarget

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I still plan on doing this but haven't made time to do it just yet.

The only modifications that i can see needed would be the to top of the pack where it hooks over the frame. The rest should work just as it is.

I'm not sure how to go about changing the top of the pack yet though. This will be my 1st DIY mod and i really dont want to screw up my EXO.

MtnMuley

WKR
I'm in the process of doing virtually the same thing with a Kifaru and the Nomad pack. My hardest decision is which scabbard. Good posts guys.

jeffpg

WKR
I was wondering if the scabbard could be mounted on the diagonal so that the rifle butt is over your shoulder. Could miss the entire pack to frame interface and keep the integrity of the EXO system intact. Would also prevent hacking. Just a thought.

It's a thought that I share... I just got my new EXO 3500 and haven't even taken the time to fit adjust it yet. I really can't see myself making any major modifications to the pack. I'll just try to figure out a way to attach it somehow in a way that it can be easily removed for when I'm bow hunting.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. Myself, I've never been a fan of hanging the rifle on the side. Always seems floppy or a pain to loosen in order to access the bag. Let us know what you figure out--- with PICS of course!!!!

Hook the top of the bag to the frame with a g hook or grimlock like the Kifaru Mountain Rambler. I was going to do the same with my Exo, but with a lighter homemade scabbard that wouldn't add so much weight to the pack. Just hang the scabbard from the tabs on the bag or frame, and connect the bag to the top of the frame with a short strap and g hook or grimlock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What you can do is get a generic one with cover for about 20-30 on the internet and bring it to a tailor like I did for another 15 I had it permanently attached on the backside of the bag between the frame and the bag on my old EXO. Amazon.com : VISM byNcStar Tactical Rifle Scabbard (CVRSCB2919B), Black : Gun Slings : Sports & Outdoors this isn't the greatest example but you get the idea, it just holds the rifle close to your back and protects it. I used to use an eberlestock J34 with the scabbard built in but at 7lbs 7oz. it was excessive for my ounce counting so it had to go. even with the scabbard attached to the EXO, it was still lighter.

I'm really thinking about going this route again. I'm trying to decide if the rifle is better off attached to the bag or frame. The thread about the. 22 Mag with the rifle carrier really got me thinking. Might be quicker and easier overall than the scabbard in my Rambler to do it that way. Three buckles, roll the bag out of the way, and pull the rifle out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk