Stove Legs

Need some ideas on legs for a cylinder stove. The binding screw posts and JB weld couldn't withstand the temperatures. Am I better off just welding the screw posts to the plates?

What is everyone else doing for legs on their DIY stove?

I just used threaded 3/4" pipe and welded fittings on my stove. Easier to level the stove and unscrew for transportation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Here's how I have my legs. Doing it this way means I don't have to notch out the stove body and allows the body to be used in different sized stoves.

20151017_163734_zps0ozlpe33.jpg

OP
ndbwhunter
Colonel, how sturdy is that and what type of material did you use?

Does anyone know if they make the binding screw posts with internal and external threads? Ideally, I would like to attached the screw post using a nut, and then be able to thread the legs into during assembly.

Ray

WKR
If you go to McMaster-Carr you can find female stand-offs in a variety of configurations. If you are wanting to have threaded rod or long bolts for legs then a hex coupling nut would work using a small bolt on the inside of the stove body to hold it to the stove material. Or you could use a Male-Female stand-off and use a nut and lock washer on the inside.

The cool thing about Mcmaster-Carr is that you can buy stuff in all kinds of materials not found at the local store.

OP
ndbwhunter
I always forget about McMaster-Carr. I was going to look on there yesterday and spaced it out. Good find!

colonel00

WKR
Colonel, how sturdy is that and what type of material did you use?

On this bigger stove in the picture, I used some stainless wire that I got from bbrown so I don't have exact specs on it. In my smaller configuration, I have just used clothes hanger wire bent in the same manner. It's easily sturdy enough to hold up the stove and a load of wood. Plus, as wasatchcomm kind of suggests, you can fill in the bottom with a bunch of rocks that will add support and even act as a heat sink.

As far as using rocks as a base for the stove, I think it would work fine as long as you had suitable rocks available. I've been in some spots where I didn't really have rocks handy so the legs are a good way to always have the stove up off the ground and the legs really don't weight that much.