My first DIY Tarp!!

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
This s what I'll be running this September in SW CO. This was my first go at a project of this size. It turned out surprisingly well. The main body material is Coyote Brown 1.1 silnylon from Ripstop By The Roll, Gutermann thread in the same color, and some Kryptek 500 D Cordura for reinforcements. I used gutted Paracord for the tie outs (thanks live2hunt for suggesting that). The finished dimensions are 9'6"x10'. I made a roll compression sack out of the same 1.1 material. Final weight after seam sealing was 17.5 oz for the tarp in its stuff sack. With about 40' of Lawson 2mm reflective guy line and 13 stakes, it came in at (EDIT: swapped out some aluminum stakes for titanium ones. Now entire kit weighs in at 26.2 oz (1.6 lbs)!!! I'm very happy with the end result. Enjoy the pics!

41oyySK.jpg

CtG4Hhh.jpg

rz5m0bb.jpg

ySeH9LS.jpg

jekc5lp.jpg

iz4PjcB.jpg

tYu3yHS.jpg

UM6h99J.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisS

WKR
Looks great! Good job. Is there just one seam on this (i.e., two panels of fabric)? I used the RSBTR silpoly on my first tarp.. I'm thinking about giving the silnylon a try for the next one since it stretches a bit more to get it taut. What are your footprint dimensions?

Very nice!

Maybe a stupid question, when you mentioned dimensions, is the tarp just a square shape? The first pics of the way you have it pitched might be throwing me off. I thought it was cut differently to make that pitch.

Any tutorials you used or have? I made a shelter once before and I'm interested in making a bigger and better one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
I'm very impressed. Do you happen do feel like sharing the cost breakdown?

My wife thinks floorless shelters are silly, but I go without her occasionally and wouldn't mind carrying less weight.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Looks great! Good job. Is there just one seam on this (i.e., two panels of fabric)? I used the RSBTR silpoly on my first tarp.. I'm thinking about giving the silnylon a try for the next one since it stretches a bit more to get it taut. What are your footprint dimensions?

Thanks ChrisS! There is just one seam. The sil I got had 58" of usable material (width). So I cut out two 10'4" pieces. I did a flat felled seam two connect the pieces length wise. After running a double hem all the way around the perimeter I ended up with the dimensions given lying on the floor with no tension. Under tension it probably gains a little bit.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice!

Maybe a stupid question, when you mentioned dimensions, is the tarp just a square shape? The first pics of the way you have it pitched might be throwing me off. I thought it was cut differently to make that pitch.

Any tutorials you used or have? I made a shelter once before and I'm interested in making a bigger and better one now.

Thanks Jacob! The tarp is just a squarish shape. It looks the way it does on the back because the back two corners (which are not used are tucked into the interior of the tarp. YouTube has several videos on how to do that pitch. It's actually pretty easy.

Last edited:
OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very impressed. Do you happen do feel like sharing the cost breakdown?

My wife thinks floorless shelters are silly, but I go without her occasionally and wouldn't mind carrying less weight.

Vanish, with seven yards of material, thread, and seam sealer, I think it would be somewhere around $60 in material. I had the Kryptek material and the paracord lying around.

WoodBow

WKR
Looks like you did a great job. I'd recommend thinning your silicone with mineral spirits, or if you did thin it, thin it more for seam sealing next time. It will certainly work how you did it but Patrick from kifaru says it doesn't work any better thick vs thin. Thinning it properly will make it pretty much invisible.

I just finished a tipi and I used gutted pcord for loops as well. I went quite a bit more complicated with how I attached mine and it took a lot of time. I'm hoping you have no issues at all so that I can simplify my attachment for the next project.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just finished a tipi and I used gutted pcord for loops as well. I went quite a bit more complicated with how I attached mine and it took a lot of time. I'm hoping you have no issues at all so that I can simplify my attachment for the next project.

I do my tie outs this way with no issue

WoodBow

WKR
I have 32 tie outs on mine. Half way through i was thinking man this is overkill but i was too far in and wanted them all to match. Each loop has 2 bar tacks across it under the grosgrain cover. This is only half of them.

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider

I sewed one up on a scrap piece and thoroughly tested it before I went for it. I never did get it to fail. There is actually a good amount of surface area to a gutted piece of paracord. Cut a piece open length wise and you can see. With the right thread and stitch, I think this will make very good tie outs.

WoodBow

WKR
I ironed my gutted cord flat. Takes 2 seconds and makes it easier to lay out.