Kifaru Highcamp 7000 Modifications done. (continuation of previous thread)

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
That pack looks great. I'll be having some of the same mods done by David. Great guy and does great work.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
That pack looks great. I'll be having some of the same mods done by David. Great guy and does great work.

Thanks your going to love it and David is a class act. Dropped a seat foam off at his shop last night he's going to wrap it in Cordura for me couldn't find a firm
Enough glassing pad so found some foam I like and he's gonna put the skin on it for me.

BRN

FNG
This looks great! I may have to look into a few mod to the highcamp. SHTF, have you ever looked into installing side pockets similar to the Timberline series?

Very nice. I'm going to be sending mine in to David soon for similar treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
This looks great! I may have to look into a few mod to the highcamp. SHTF, have you ever looked into installing side pockets similar to the Timberline series?

I have not. It doesn't make sense to add side pockets to the HC7000 Why not just get a Timberline then? I wanted the bag to be as clean as possible with the zip and maybe a pocket and bottle holder. That was my ideal setup. It can be done though. David wouldn't have a problem sewing in side pockets at all.

That looks good and for a great price. Wheels are spinning in my head now. Thanks for sharing the experience.

hernando

FNG
Im having a similar mod (but not by NT as Im not in the USA) done to an Argali bag that will go on my 22" UL frame. Argali to be shortened by 3.5" (just requires some deconstruction at the top and repositioning the hypalon frame sleeve 3.5" lower), center zip added. But im curious to know why you retained the compression strap setup, does it not stress the zip? I plan to have the sewn in compression straps (like on your highcamp) chopped down to 1.5" and stiched on at the end to get rid of them (as opposed to removing the bartacks). a Kclip compression strap set will give centre buckle compression with the kclips clipped on the frame. This wont stress the zipper. Just need webbing guides stitched on the bag.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm about to do this to my HC 7000. Do you know what size zipper he used? Trying to decide between 8 and 10.

Can I tell by looking at the zipper somehow? If not I can text and ask him. Im sure he does them all pretty much the same.

Will let you know.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
99% sure its a #10 in the picture based on the appearance of the zipper chain width and large sized pull. (#10 are 10mm across the chain, same concept for #8, #5, etc.). If you think you're going to load a bunch of weight that will want to spill out and stress the zipper then just go with a #10, keep in mind the zipper pull body is longer and will gobble up more usable length of the zipper if that is of any concern (unlikely on a long pack zipper but a consideration on shorter zippers). My daypack I used a #8 which I'd be surprised to pop but any major hauling will be on the load shelf and not in the pack itself so I wasn't really worried about it.

bounds

WKR
Thanks guys. Yeah I was leaning to #10 anyway, so I will go with that.

I measured from the bottom of the V at the top of the pack down to the seam above the bottom compartment zipper and it's exactly 24". Should I order a 24" zipper or go a little longer to accommodate for the size of the zipper pull?

After looking at all the pictures you have and looking at my pack, I don't think it should be too hard to do this on my own. It'll probably be a few weeks before I get to it but I'll be sure to post how it goes.

bounds

WKR
Yeah I've seen both. I had just seen a couple places had it already cut to 24" and thought that may be easier if I don't have to modify it. I want to do some other projects as well, but I don't think I'll need #10 for anything else, so I figure I'll just get it precut if I can.