DIY kuiu compression panel

I made this for a friend who bought an Icon pro 7200 during the 30% off sale. It's very similar to the talon compression panel that Seek Outside uses for their packs. The materials are:

1000d Cordura
Blaze ripstop
5mm coil zipper
1" 55301 milspec webbing
3/4" 17337 milspec webbing
7/8" black grosgrain
3/4" dual adjust buckles
3/4" bachelor buckles from Seek Outside
#69 bonded nylon thread

This is actually the second compression panel I made for the Icon Pro. The first was an attempt at Kuiu's load hauler which isn't a very good design, in my opinion. Here is version 1.

The problem with this version is, I made it too long and it still lacked a pocket. I also made the bottom to thin to be compatible with the bottom webbing on the Icon Pro belt.

So, version 2. It needed to be shorter and wider. The top and bottom webbing on the Icon Pro frame are about 8.5 inches apart. I made the second version 16" x 8.5".

I had to change out the 3/4" buckles because Kuiu uses a propietary buckle and I didn't have any. I also switched the bottom buckles with bachelor buckles from Seek Outside since the bottom buckles would be bearing most of the weight and the quick detatch buckle that kuiu uses makes me question their durability. The Icon Pro frame really lacks attachment points and customization potential. The horizontal compression straps are not movable. The top attachment straps are just threaded through holes in the frame.

Here it is with some pillows in the sling just to show the size.

Here is the bachelor buckles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
doncarpenter
Looks awesome. You think it would fit the ultra?
It probably would but I have never seen the ultra belt, so I can't say for sure. As long as it has the webbing coming off the bottom it will work.

WKR
Looks great! Where did you source the orange mesh?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tbuckus

WKR
Great idea for the pocket. I never would have thought of that.
Is the grosgrain for sewing up the edges?

Do you have a suggestion for putting a bottom on it to support or cradle the meat?
I've carried boned out meat on my KUIU pack and it always wants to wiggle around those two bottom straps that are at the bottom. I'm still trying to figure out how to make one that will cup the meat at the bottom

OP
doncarpenter
Great idea for the pocket. I never would have thought of that.
Is the grosgrain for sewing up the edges?

Do you have a suggestion for putting a bottom on it to support or cradle the meat?
I've carried boned out meat on my KUIU pack and it always wants to wiggle around those two bottom straps that are at the bottom. I'm still trying to figure out how to make one that will cup the meat at the bottom
The grosgrain is just for edgebinding. I normally sew the edge and then sew the grosgrain over the seam.

As far as the bottom, i suppose that the you could make some sort of sleeve pocket, almost like a bucket that would hold the meat in place, with some webbing loops to compress it.