DIY Stove ?

NHBacon

FNG
Hey guys just finished my DIY stove build. Brief run down on my build. I used stainless from Lite Outdoors. 7' 2.5" Chimney. I used Two 10" Stainless burner covers from Walmart (Slick by the way). I'm just excited for the build. My legs are some solid stock from HD folded in the shape of an M front and back. Stove just sits on this. Seems solid so far. My questions are finishing ? for the guys in the know.

1. My door is a tight close. I can unlatch it and it will stay open 1/4 inch or so. Is this good enough for venting?
2. My spark arrestor is just some metal fabric screen just stuffed up the pipe. Workable?
3. Do I need a damper in the Chimney? If so anybody have DIY idea?
4. The 10" pans also came with 8" pans. Am I cool with the 10"? Not much difference in size.
5. Lastly do I need to place a small grate in the bottom of the stove? Or will the stainless body hold the fire well enough?

I'm also assuming while this is in the tent the chimney will be largely supported by the tent. If I'm over thinking this just tell me to burn it up jackass and fix it as you go.

Thanks in advance fellas!

reaper

WKR
Pictures will help us help you but so far sounds good to me,you need something to fix the pipe(not falling in the stove or smoke everywhere,no good)maybe a damper or collar.
8277c8128fd2fe8f05a34d27eef84f20.jpg
c0d35b5a9a7f442fa3603fb280db7d11.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Does your legs will be fix on the stove or the stove will jusy sit on them?I suggest you to find a way to fix them to the plates.

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
That's my build so far. I'll work on the legs. The stack came with predrilled holes that I put a small rod thru to keep it from falling in the stove. (Not pictured) I'll keep tweeking it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
How much heat will that stainless take? Do you need a small grate?

reaper

WKR
How much heat will that stainless take? Do you need a small grate?

Dont know how much but believe me it can take some beatings.No need grate but if you do its maybe easier to start the fire,but IMo youre good without one.

reaper

WKR
If you search the forum,i think ,not sure it was our friend Cononel00 who made a DIY cylinder stove and the way he made the legs was nice and easy.

dog812

WKR
Hey I don't have a packable stove, but I have a few wall tent stoves.
You don't need a grate in the bottom if you put some dirt in there. Otherwise you risk burning through. More so with a larger stove.
Yes you need a damper. Otherwise it'll be ripping hot, run you out of your tent, then die quickly. You need to be able to choke it to control heat.
And yes the screens work good as spark arestors

colonel00

WKR
Found:
ace0fd30cff17a495566876e81ea4fd6.jpg

Yeah, that's kinda the first run at those legs but after a little tweaking it works really well. The main reason I went with legs like this instead of the screw in legs is you have to notch your stove body to allow the legs to screw in. But, since my stove body can accommodate both the large and small plates, it was better to not notch them and do legs like this.

Here's a photo of the legs on the stove with the large plates and an 18" body. This thing is pretty big. You can kind see that the legs fit a it better and the bottom support is nice and straight.

rkwSf6g5p9Bna-PiGaoPwz1P22fjNPanBaucO0FJNhupVrkVkQlC5OYh2uHh7LONxY1PC_2He-sNgB0ji1kRQwvQDYuhuUElbI_Nj2E8sVbuziFGvavL9jks7q02CoDuE1ofivpL2ITqpWOoWfmHk1AP5079YpDHpUhvlVGFyto_fsjCD5Qb6lBpF-Wq1Iif6GRZbWx9OUNUI54IUz6A46-E5vyMkLQcXOLYxK0loxb0L_X9WH456X_Atb8fNxw2n6Mdz1Q9dXcQ6vHubf01vGuXgRvLJHDPp7CUBIY_8IXNTaBjna90GZFjFvwMg-Gpdw6IBpQun-kK8POenIrZyJg6LTaSpDzi2KHpJSt1r_73WMIZjmyF3yfJOvk-MtHXPfsbjTZEH7xBU-7W-vxqYxjYI_OaSyrMxxJRiRP_OlO636iSdw5AoxxlHjSHFqtELXDOlYqZEyA2hLjBI1yCHcF39vOLiBQbvPV_vso2ZMA143bEekYLl2YTm1ugqBDClMvn7G02KJDMoFxuUXaxVeDdSqws0dmQy0n86XKJrNboBDVSQtCB4kChvAg0BuFk_tHdTG4vzxHMtKP2YejSeSHTsSTJYUrfwjmTYHQoTvE8j5w3n8HKIyS2g6lef-pOWJ8wDITw6fYo0AisA5y2_EaJrmzHUJCnOf197Z1vgWo=w1202-h901-no

Also, ignore that the exhaust opening is at the same end as the door. I just put it together to try something out when I took the photo. Maybe one of these days I'll come up with a reverse flow design but I don't see the need really.

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
I thought about the threaded rods for holding it all together. I went with a wire set up. I may just have to change that up a bit. Thanks for the input!

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
I haven't even thought about using it to cook. Just warmth so you can get dressed without feezing balls

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
How much did the materials cost ya in total? New to the diy but have been looking at getting a stove. Could this be a beginner project?

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
Total I'm under 100. Materials for body and chimney 65 with shipping. Stove covers 8. Misc 10. I thought it was super easy. If you mess up cutting the door you are only out 8.

If you find time, you should write up a tutorial with some step by step pictures. I've been kicking around the idea of doing this for a while, but I've never been able to find an inexpensive tutorial with easy to acquire materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
If you find time, you should write up a tutorial with some step by step pictures. I've been kicking around the idea of doing this for a while, but I've never been able to find an inexpensive tutorial with easy to acquire materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Search this forum for a thread by b brown

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk