Kifaru Belt on Krux Frame

tttoadman

WKR
There are a few things I have come to really like:
1. The compactness and rigidity of the SG frame.

2. The Kifaru belt with the webbing.

3. The Kifaru grabit. The SG detachable load shelf gets a guy to the same place, but all of my SG is "vintage" with the shelf attached to the bag. I find this pc to be one of biggest assets to my setup.
3a. Keeps everything high and tight.
3b. Provides protection for the much more expensive bag.
3c. Provides a great pocket to hold tripods, coats, sitting pads, ???

4. The ridiculous level of modularity between all of these top shelf packs that allows a guy to pc together about anything with a pile of buckles and some creativity.

I already have curved stays in my Krux frame that fit great, so the better belt for me is really all I was ever looking for. So here it is.

Step 1: You must be in a certain frame of mind to do this. CUT THE BELT "WINGS" OFF THE KRUX FRAME. No looking back now. You have just ruined a $350 frame.

Step 2: Slice the bottom of the "bucket" on a Kifaru belt. There are two(2) 1" webbing coming off the bottom of the Krux frame. Cut about 1/4" narrower than these 2 straps. Slice the fabric of the belt. Don't cut the heavy stitching that runs along the bottom. I have rolled the grabit out of the way so you can see how I put it on. This is a Gen 1 grabit with the metal slider cut off. The quick connect ladder lock holds it tight to the bottom of the frame. The bottom pick shows it in haul mode.
GAZB2mf.jpg

6c664xd.jpg

vRDs18O.jpg

U9tCKM8.jpg

Step 3: Squeeze the frame together about 1/8" and the frame slips right into the belt bucket. Pull the 2 straps through the bottom. The SG 3 pc belt lumbar pad slips right into place and velcros down as it should.

Qualifier:
This has been bounce tested in the house for general soundness. I used an old gen 1 belt that was basically disposable for me to make this test. It looks like all a guy needs to do is stitch a 500D strap around the bottom on each side where the SG frame bars are located. Running that transverse strap will effectively nulify the slice you made in the belt fabric. I won't mess with this unless I find it to be necessary. I will train with this setup through the spring and summer, so I should have plenty of time to make any mods to a nice belt and be ready to go.
IMG_1200_zpszywnarwi.jpg~original
IMG_1191_zps2fzbrohr.jpg~original

Below: attaching the grabit with the load shelf in use.
6mNXySo.jpg

Below: Attaching the grabit in hunt mode.
QrnJ1ws.jpg

Last edited:

iahunter08

Lil-Rokslider
Also would love to see pics was going to sew a new saddle on a kifaru belt to accept the wings but havent devided to do that or cut the wings? If you could send some pics it would be great

OP
tttoadman

tttoadman

WKR
images added.

As you can see, getting the grabit put on and figuring out how to rig it up was more time consuming than putting the belt on. I have been hauling around about 50# hunting for about 10 days this year. I don't see any issues so far.

The fit and comfort is no different than a Kifaru hunter frame to me. The curved stays I made are similar in shape to the Kifaru stays because that is what I had to use as a guide. I have still not loaded it heavy. Hopefully the real load test will be the end of this month.

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
Here are my mods. Finished it up yesterday. I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread.

Cut the SG wings off. NO going back now...

9GKcTbr.jpg

Instead of slicing the bottom belt bucket like tttoadman, I decided to remove the stitches on the Kifaru belt "bucket"to have a flat surface to sew on the velcro patches. I made a 1" slice on the "bucket" so I can feed the lower SG straps thru. My SG KRUX frame is a newer frame and had the lower straps sewn onto the belt wings. Since I had to cut the belt wings off, I had to sew on new lower straps. My other vintage KRUX frame has the lower straps sewn on the frame instead of the wings.

1OkceQn.jpg

Patches of velcro sewn both on the inside and out.

Kxf39q5.jpg

Sew on a webbing with ladder lock buckles to mate up the webbing from the Kifaru belt.

xW0PURU.jpg

K0O9tha.jpg

diGey9e.jpg

2YXEGok.jpg

Loaded up with 30lbs of gear. Bag is a 1st gen EXO mountain gear 3500 with some mods to fit the SG Krux frame and a Kifaru guide lid. Looking forward to test it out this weekend on a 3 day backcountry hunt.

xvqxN1Z.jpg