DIY Digi Scope Adapter

Jimss

WKR
I'm still in the process of making mine. I spun my wheels yesterday trying to find the smaller pipe but finally found one. I had to buy a 8' long pipe but it was only $9.00. I am cheap and didn't want to buy a heat gun so used my propane torch with a light flame to warm the edges so they bent into place. I heated the side flaps from below with the lowest flame possible. As soon as they started getting a slight char color and bending down towards the flame I slid the phone into place. I held each melted flap at a time for about a minute until the side pieces cooled and were solid.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Im cheap too. I did the same thing with a torch for a long time. I finally gave in and bought a heat gun from harbor freight when they had a coupon for $7.99. It has already proved valuable on several projects. Much easier to control the heat.

I ended up having some trouble with my phone wanting to rotate down if i had it in landscape. I smeared a thin layer of shoe goo on the inside of the pipe cap and that solved the issue nicely. Silicone would accomplish the same thing.

Jimss

WKR
My phone is super tight and I can barely get it in and out. I'm sure it may loosen up over time. That's a good idea with the shoe goo or silicone.

Felix40

WKR
When i did mine i went ahead and molded the pipe cap around the eye piece and a portion of the bino body. On my vultures the body has just enough shape to it that i can only get the phone scope on one way and it cant rotate. Really glad this project came up because thats the best $.89 I ever spent.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
My phone is super tight and I can barely get it in and out. I'm sure it may loosen up over time. That's a good idea with the shoe goo or silicone.

Apply heat to the tabs and relax them out a bit. Or you can make them shorter.

When I made mine I thought I needed as much grip as possible, but I misjudged just how much of a glove like fit you can get. I would have no complaints about mine at all but I have a spandex type material card wallet on the back of my phone. It wants to wad that all up and makes if very snug. I will probably still make some kind of modification to accommodate that a little better.

Last edited:

vanish

WKR
Love the work. Looks great. I think the spots in the ASAT look even better than pure ASAT. :D

I did a very similar thing just before the season after inheriting my grandfather's spotting scope. I had almost as much fun filming critters as hunting.

I don't run a case on my phone most of the time, so I bought a $1 case from Dollar tree, glued a piece of PVC on and camo duct taped the whole thing. Works great.

View attachment 47195

Pronghorn - YouTube

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Our sheep hunt was a success. All 3 of us were running adapters that we made. We had adapters for kaibabs, vultures, and a 85mm razor spotting scope. They worked very well. No issues at all.

twall13

WKR
Thanks for the post. I finally got around to making one since I had a backpacking trip a couple weeks ago where I was trying to video some mountain goats through my binos and it was far from a steady setup. That reminded me of this thread and I followed your step by step instructions with a few modifications for my phone. I used a piece of Kydex I had laying around which is really easy to work with. I had to cut a 1.25" PVC coupler down to size and paint it Black but it fits pretty snug now. My biggest challenge was that the camera lens on my phone is less than 1/4" from the top of my phone and closer to the corner than the middle so I had to leave some extra material to glue the coupler in place. I used gorilla glue and it seems to be holding well so far. An end cap would have provided more glue surface than the coupler but I went with what fit my Binos. When I first tried it I realized my power button and volume rocker were covered so I had to go back and cut more out so I can access those buttons to zoom, etc. I actually like the fit better with less material. Final weight of 1.8 Oz. Not bad for a DIY setup.
1b24845cfacf57a274209803acf0671f.jpg
eb493cf7f261b14fa7d3f1d935f4a59d.jpg
689c4da88f5c96c6f3faf9e103e23f8e.jpg
9d4f6b196eb34fb4bb702ee66ff13f39.jpg
fc838f54a6bdea542440d8ae342d3436.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
How deep is your coupler that goes over the eyepiece?
1/2”, 1”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is probably about 3/4" deep. I started with a longer piece and ended up cutting it down to get the phone closer to the optics.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kilo184

FNG
6f9977e2ea0bca02a38d47ced0c3cd9f.jpg

34f60df1c8de84a9e49bbe3dafd53a44.jpg

Just made two DIY phone scopes for our Elk hunt this week. 1 for my Binos and 1 for a spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this and im working on one for my setup now. Ill post some pics up once i get it finished out. Great INFO guys, thanks for the motivation.

2five7

WKR
I've done a couple a similar way, but I just ordered a cheap $5 hard case for my phone on Amazon, then glue the spotter adapter on over the camera hole.

ToolMann

WKR
I realize this is a very old thread but wanted to see if anyone has done this with the Kowa TE-11WZ eye piece. Just took a trip to the hardware store and can't find anything that fits for the ocular lense portion.