Dyeing a pack?

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a discontinued Kifaru pack off of ebay. The seller advertised it as Ranger green buts it's definitely foliage. Not a big deal but estetically I just don't like foliage.

I'm thinking about just dying it black as I have plenty of black pouches to attach.

I've seen some posts about dying 1000d Cordura but none to black.

Do you think it would dye to black easily or would it look terrible?

For anyone who has used Rite Dye to do it, do you have any pointers?
Thanks

I used black carpet dye, vinegar, and finally salt to dye my green nylon viet nam style gun belt black. You need either a stainless steel pot or an unblemished porcelain coated canning pot.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Jaysop

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
Does it come out looking like actual black or does it come out looking kind of off?

• Banned
OP
Jaysop

Jaysop

Lil-Rokslider
What does the salt do? I saw someone else mention that in anew old post of the Kifaru forum

It was truly black. It "activates" the dye. I did a bunch of research on dying in general because I had this dye for 20 years with the intention of dying my cars carpet back then. Then I realized the instructions called for an activator. It cost too much for my minimum wage income at the time so I was SOL. Then i recently did some reading and used some common sense with successful results.

d033d7384970c112dec850acaa114a2b.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I am assuming you also did a google search, but this guy does a pretty good job with a light grey pack to black, camo is a bit different of course.
How to Dye a Backpack
From what I see about Camo, is you end up with a black pattern, but can still see the Camo underneath. I am seriously considering trying to Dye my Kuiu 7200 Digicam black. From what I have seen, it'll take boiling hot water, consistent stirring in a big pot (thinking Turkey Fryer) and up to an hour.
When I do it, I'll post some pics. Wish I would have just gotten the dark grey when I bought it.

Wojo14

WKR
Has anyone tried to "paint/Dye" a camo pattern on their solid pack?
I have an EXO 3500 in Foilage. I wouldn't mid "painting" a few strips on it to break it up.
I have fallen in love with this pack and been using it as a day pack ,as well as, a multi day pack.
~Wojo