Field Chair from Tyvek ???

Anybody thought about making a field chair out of Tyvek?

I'm thinking double layer for "strength". Oversized sleeve up top for trekking pole handles.

Would be super light and nice to have around camp.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mrbillbrown
No way brother. Don't take time away from important stuff just to test an idea.

My daughter wanted to sew some clothes for some dolls she has and asked to learn to sew. Pulled out the old cheap machine and started teaching her some beginner stuff (my highest level of self taught sewing skills) and it lit a fire. Lol. Took my first shot at a field chair from scraps laying around. Busch league? Absolutely. Fun and functional for around the house? Hell yes it is :)

c990bee80d3075017fbe27e3770c7aba.jpg

76791d84482da2b03236c7793fdf2a9b.jpg

After messing around with it I had the idea to go UL and thought Tyvek might be a great alternative to a UL field chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good. Send me your specs and I'll make a tyvek mockup for you when I get a minute. It's really no trouble

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LBFowler

WKR
I wouldn't bother. Tyvek is sturdy, but it degrades pretty quick in the sun. Just pay the tiny extra bit for nylon.

I have Tyvek for the shelter floor, but then my wife bought some kind of foam memory pad for the bed and it came wrapped in a 4x8 sheet of slightly thicker type Tyvek material. Not sure exactly what it is, but I used it last night as a sleeping bag liner here in Utah and it is excellent. Still super light but a bit thicker and not noisy like Tyvek. I may have to try and make a chair. I decided not to hike in with one but really like the idea of having one- thx to this thread- problem solved
thx