What's your sewing set up?

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kenmore 158 series (circa 1968). I have my sewing table in the guest bedroom downstairs. For really big stuff, like a tarp, I take over the kid's play room in the basement.

Bughalli

WKR
Thanks guys. Gives me something to look out for. The number of models out there is daunting and there's a lot of variance in pricing. I'll need to keep an eye on craigslist and ebay.

AGPank

WKR
Anyone have a good resource for troubleshooting machine issue? I have a Singer 4423. It was running well and now the thread is getting caught up around the bobbin case. I can't stitch through anything and it binds up there.

I found the O&M online, but it covers basic setup. It doesn't seem to have much details about troubleshooting.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
First thing I would do is give it a good cleaning. Lint usually builds up around the bobbin case and causes the thread to get caught up. If you recently took the machine apart to do this, then you may have inadvertently messed up the timing. Some machines have actual maintenance and repair manuals which should help you self-diagnose the problem and hopefully fix it. Look around on-line, i got mine from manualslib.com.

I recently upgraded to an Elna SU62 (built in the late 70's) and the maint. & repair manual helped me get it fully cleaned and serviced at home, saved probably $100. By the way, if you ever see one of these Elna SU62's (there are a few models that are similar) I highly recommend them. The foot pedal (for some years) has a fast/slow switch and the slow setting is perfect for tent sewing and the machine is BUTTERY smooth. Not to mention the thing is built like a bunker, and all the gears are metal. The Brother LS-2125 I started on was fine, but the Elna makes for much more enjoyable sewing.

-Flydaho

AGPank

WKR
First thing I would do is give it a good cleaning. Lint usually builds up around the bobbin case and causes the thread to get caught up. If you recently took the machine apart to do this, then you may have inadvertently messed up the timing. Some machines have actual maintenance and repair manuals which should help you self-diagnose the problem and hopefully fix it. Look around on-line, i got mine from manualslib.com.

I recently upgraded to an Elna SU62 (built in the late 70's) and the maint. & repair manual helped me get it fully cleaned and serviced at home, saved probably $100. By the way, if you ever see one of these Elna SU62's (there are a few models that are similar) I highly recommend them. The foot pedal (for some years) has a fast/slow switch and the slow setting is perfect for tent sewing and the machine is BUTTERY smooth. Not to mention the thing is built like a bunker, and all the gears are metal. The Brother LS-2125 I started on was fine, but the Elna makes for much more enjoyable sewing.

-Flydaho

Thanks. Tracked down manuals online. Found a good video on YouTube. Brushed clean and re-threaded machine. First test looks good. Trying to track down some oil. I'm sure it needs it.

What do you guys think of a Brother LX3125 for $50 for a first time sewing machine. I would like to make a pack to fit my Kifaru frame and maybe a tipi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I would pass on that. You can get a brand new Brother for $100. You should also be able to pick up a much better machine on craigslist for around $100 to $150. Where do you live at? I can give you some comparables on craigslist.

-Flydaho

AGPank

WKR
One thing I'm struggling with is my Singer "heavy duty" doesn't like heavy thread.

I'm learning I should have looked for a walking foot machine to handle the heavier fabrics.

KJH

WKR
I have a bernina 150 that is about 20 years old. About a month ago it started giving me problems with heavy thread at first and then with the timing. I took it in to a dealer and they cleaned it up and fixed it for $50. Just picked it up yesterday and I bet I get another 20 years out of it. Its easy and until recently worked amazing. It handles heavy fabric great now.

It was used when I bought it from an lady who does quilting. I think I paid $150 then and I'd highly recommend one if you can find it.

muddydogs

WKR
I love these posts, a bunch of big bad a** hunters talking about sewing machines like a bunch of old ladies. I'm a sewing hack and have been messing around with it for years, made boat blinds, decoy bags, layout blinds and modified a bunch of stuff. Anytime anyone asked where I got an item I tell them that I made it but don't tell anyone I know how to sew as that's women's work. People get a laugh when they ask my wife about my sewing, kind of referring that its her machine and she helps me, and she tells them that I brought the sewing machine to the marriage and she has no idea how it works.
I find it funny when the wife and I go into a fabric store and if I have to ask for some help they always talk to my wife even though I'm asking the questions. A lot of the time the wife looks at the person and says talk to him not me I'm not the sewer. Guess they don't think an ugly 6'10" 300 pound dude sews. I have got the eye ball from some nice looking honeys when I'm in the fabric store by myself, maybe that's why the wife doesn't let me go there alone anymore.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I love these posts, a bunch of big bad a** hunters talking about sewing machines like a bunch of old ladies. I'm a sewing hack and have been messing around with it for years, made boat blinds, decoy bags, layout blinds and modified a bunch of stuff. Anytime anyone asked where I got an item I tell them that I made it but don't tell anyone I know how to sew as that's women's work. People get a laugh when they ask my wife about my sewing, kind of referring that its her machine and she helps me, and she tells them that I brought the sewing machine to the marriage and she has no idea how it works.
I find it funny when the wife and I go into a fabric store and if I have to ask for some help they always talk to my wife even though I'm asking the questions. A lot of the time the wife looks at the person and says talk to him not me I'm not the sewer. Guess they don't think an ugly 6'10" 300 pound dude sews. I have got the eye ball from some nice looking honeys when I'm in the fabric store by myself, maybe that's why the wife doesn't let me go there alone anymore.

Lol :). That was a fun post to read... My wife doesn't know how to sew, either and both machines I have were obtained by me. Although I've heard that referring to sewing as "thread injecting" makes it a little more manly-might try that and see how it works...

Jeremy

dog812

WKR
I've got a 69 singer from my grandma.. It works but when I try to sew rip stop nylon, the bottom of the stitch is loose... Tried a bunch of stuff I have no idea what to do.

OP

WKR
I tightened it all the way, loosened it... Didn't change anything.
Sometimes it's worth a few bucks for a pro to look at your machine. I just had mine serviced.

Bring in the thread and fabrics your going to use, that helps them understand what you are doing.

My motor was about to die and was causing all kinds of problems that I was attributing to everything else but the decrease in power.

They built me a new motor and I'm back in business.

Also learned a valuable lesson- they told me that I should be oiling my machine much more often than I was. Like not only every time you use it but a few times during if you're running it hard. I, ummm, was oiling a little less than that.
"We sell those big oil bottles for a reason"
$79 dollars later I understand why.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple of my buddies sew too and we joke about the same thing. 10 years ago I would have never guessed that I would have had this many conversations about sewing and geeking out on it with grown men. I like to think of it as us being Renaissance men.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imadamb

FNG
Bought a Singer 4423 on Amazon for cheap a few years ago, finally broke it out to make a seat for a BSA I had for a spell. Typical fashion, just dove right in. Fabbed up an aluminum seat pan, made sure I had tension on the thread set correctly on a cutoff and then start sewing the pad in the diamond pattern... Learned a few things about setup along the way but no major problems other than the first type of thread I had wasn't playing nicely. Did ok on the seat, it's a little hacky, I wouldn't think of charging someone to do this, but it was a good learning experience. Collecting ideas right now and will be sewing up some pouches for my kit, soon as I finish up tuning my bow. Hehe, more typical fashion, built a press so I could handle all that without having to rely on the dimwitted local shop.

28259466863_af50580233_b.jpg

28843240626_fa67e43247_b.jpg

29090621806_73906b84f0_b.jpg

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes it's worth a few bucks for a pro to look at your machine. I just had mine serviced.

Bring in the thread and fabrics your going to use, that helps them understand what you are doing.

My motor was about to die and was causing all kinds of problems that I was attributing to everything else but the decrease in power.

They built me a new motor and I'm back in business.

Also learned a valuable lesson- they told me that I should be oiling my machine much more often than I was. Like not only every time you use it but a few times during if you're running it hard. I, ummm, was oiling a little less than that.
"We sell those big oil bottles for a reason"
$79 dollars later I understand why.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you're like most people, and not a professional, I doubt you need to oil it during. If you are running it at full tilt constantly, then maybe that would be a good decision. My machine is a self oiler, so I don't have to worry, thankfully.