List of DIY Gear

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
So I recently made my own "pull outs" and it was just like everyone said...very easy. The next step for me is to make my own tarp. But I also wanted to see what other gear can be made on your own. So far I can think of:

Pull outs
Stuff sacks
Tarps/tents
Quilts

What are some pieces of gear that you have made or might make in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Packs, clothing, game bags, essentially anything cloth, food (I highly advise this), most anything can be diy if you have the skill.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I'm quite the tinkerer so I've made a whole bunch of stuff over the last few years... to name a few:
-Game Bags
-Binocular Harness
-Ultralight Binocular Rain Cover/Bivy
-Rifle Carrier for Pack
-Accessory Pockets to Add Volume on Exterior of Pack
-eVent Bivy
-Bathtub Floor for Single Wall Pyramid Shelter
-3'x5' Apex Climashield Dog Bed/Quilt(also works great for sitting around camp, or as a glassing pad)

I'm currently working on finishing up my largest project. In the process of making a roll top 50L bag for my Exo Mountain frame.... I'll post a thread soon with details and pictures! Really like where it's headed!

Stid2677

WKR
This thread needs some pics.....

Pull open pack lid.

P2160509_zps72225764.jpg

Pull outs

P3130749_zpsfad9ebb3.jpg

Spotter case

P2150490_zps38652ae5.jpg

Turkey wing pack and water bottle carrier

P3050627_zps9b687182.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
Rifle slings

PA220639_zps5acd150d.jpg

Also made game bags, rifle carrier for my SG XKurve and a few other pieces.

P2050401_zpse4691d16.jpg

Last edited:

gumbl3

WKR
I've made a couple down quilts and am wrapping up a diy megatarp project thanks to plans on here

One day I want to make a bino harness that can carry my pistol, the idea of all the workings just hasn't hit me yet

OP
M

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome responses guys. I'll second Jtay's question. What material for game bags?

was just thinking I need to start on some pullouts.

I've made a couple hexagonal tarps, 2 hammocks, one bug net, and one underquilt.
Got quite deep into making pants, but that got shelved before I really got the hang of it and now I'm afraid I'll have to start over, having forgotten the nuances of most of what I've learned.

I just got a machine in the last couple months and have made pullouts stuff sacks a quilt and am working on a tut style pyramid now.
I am also curious on the game bag material.

Stid2677

WKR
The material I bought for game bags, is polyester, went to Walmart and picked one I could blow though, many I could not. I have been using them for 3 years now and they work as good as any I ever bought. It was even on sale for a $1 a yard, bought all they had, still using every bag I made.

OP
M

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
It's done, and now that you guys started posting pictures in here I just have to share....
33148430051_9174a75a28_b.jpg

Wow. That's awesome. Any special equipment needed to make a pack like that?

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Not really! It's a pretty basic sewing machine, although rated "heavy duty". I'd recommend a nice metal straight edge, cutting mat, and roller cutter for the material though! So much easier on large straight cuts over scissors.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
So far I have made the following:

-10 hammocks
-4 tarps
-2 emergency tarp/poncho
-2 under quilts
-2 too quilts
-2 bug nets
-2 couple quilt socks
-tons of stuff sacks
-many knives
-bridge hammock with built in insulation.
My next couple projects are a ultralight tent for use with a retangle tarp, a kifaru style tipi and a dry bag for a bag frame. Then once funds get back up I am going to try a titanium wood stove.

Also welded some ti bails on random snowpeak pots which is probably one of the best mods
Going to attmpt some pants eventually

marcb

FNG
I made my bad weather jacket out of a 3 layer gortex stretch material I found.

Sized it out to give extra room in the shoulders and length in the waist for bow hunting