Reinforcing silnylon

Tbuckus

WKR
I'm working on my first silnylon project thanks to all the ideas I have seen here.

My question is about sewing corner tie outs.
What do you use to reinforce or thicken the corner before you sew on the strap/loop? An extra piece of silnylon? Other material? Nothing?
Also, is grosgrain ok for a tie out loop, or should I use webbing?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bigger the profile of your shelter the stronger the reinforcement​ will need to be IMO. I used 500d and webbing but the piece of mind is worth the few oz extra wieght to me.
That said I have seen people have good luck with using silnylon doubled up. You can get webbing in pretty narrow widths if trying to save wieght and still have strength

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
For my tipi I used 500d cordura reinforcement and gutted paracord loops. For my tarps, I used a heavier weight ripstop and grosgrain loops.

gumbl3

WKR
I used a small piece of 420D ROBIC at all my tie out points, seems like pretty tough stuff

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I would personally not use 500D because it does not stretch. I use 1.6. It hhas some stretch so it moves with the sil. Other wise your moving the stress to the seem on the top of the reinforcement. You want to be distributing the force of the pullout. I spray adhesive a piece on the back. So the reinforcement is on the inside. The stress of the stiches is pulling out so it makes sense to use the more robust material where the stitches will be pullibg from. Using the spary adhesive kinda of binds the two fabrics distributing the stresses even more off all the seams.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't have good luck with spray adhesive and silnylon. Silicone was about the only thing I've found that would stick.

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. That is what I was looking for.

What stitch did you use to arachnid the paracord?

I used bar tacks on the paracord. A little advice on using 500 D, when you are ready to sew on the reinforcements, stretch the shelter out on a hard floor. Pre stretch the shelter (I used dumbells for this). Completely coat the back of the reinforcements with Sil Net. Put them in place with weighted books on top of them. Let them dry and then sew them up. The Sil Net will add shear strength and make sewing the reinforcements a snap. This method will work with whatever reinforcement material you choose.

Beendare

WKR
I use a triangle piece of material [210 wt on my tent] at guyout points.

edit; this is my big tent....the 210 is for the heavy duty app's. For guyout of a tarp or something lighter the 210 is too much...i use the 1.6oz ripstop silpoly.

I think the key is you have to distribute the weight of the pull evenly into the surrounding fabric.

Last edited:

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't have good luck with spray adhesive and silnylon. Silicone was about the only thing I've found that would stick.

You are using the wrong stuff. I am sewing 2 tarps as i speak. The adhesive i use works good but of course i am still sewing it.

Beendare

WKR
I too would like to know what glue works best on these fabrics...but for a patching scenario. I've used the terrific tape[ or whatever its called] sold at REI to patch a SL5. I wouldn't use the glue...and then sew....that glue bungs up my needle too badly. I just sew gusseted corners and tieout points.

I was just thinking.......If a guy wants to keep it light and strong, using that reinforced sil fabric that has the ripstop Dyneema is the way to go IMO. I am using the 210 Dyneema ripstop....but you can get it in 1.7oz without the coating which might be better if you are gluing.

Here is a link to Ripstop by the roll with his 1.7 stuff that has the dyneema;
1.7 oz ROBIC XL Hybrid ripstop nylon | Ripstop by the Roll

I really like the stuff with that Dyneema weave built in for more durable applications....some of that silnylon without it gets a puncture and it just runs...been there on a SL5 tipi...puncture turned into a 14" long gash.

WoodBow

WKR
I attached all of my reinforcements with shoe goo or contact cement before sewing. Both worked well but I was using PU nylon.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too would like to know what glue works best on these fabrics...but for a patching scenario. I've used the terrific tape[ or whatever its called] sold at REI to patch a SL5. I wouldn't use the glue...and then sew....that glue bungs up my needle too badly. I just sew gusseted corners and tieout points.

I was just thinking.......If a guy wants to keep it light and strong, using that reinforced sil fabric that has the ripstop Dyneema is the way to go IMO. I am using the 210 Dyneema ripstop....but you can get it in 1.7oz without the coating which might be better if you are gluing.

Here is a link to Ripstop by the roll with his 1.7 stuff that has the dyneema;
1.7 oz ROBIC XL Hybrid ripstop nylon | Ripstop by the Roll

I really like the stuff with that Dyneema weave built in for more durable applications....some of that silnylon without it gets a puncture and it just runs...been there on a SL5 tipi...puncture turned into a 14" long gash.
My buddy pushed the rear pole though my sawtooth copycat in Alaska. I had left a small strip of silnylon to use as patching material when I built it. Brought along a small almost empty tube of windshield silicone. Cut a patch add dab of silicone strong as before. Over two years later you'd never know it was there

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used silicone to glue my reinforcement​ pieces in. I don't recall it gumming up the needle but maybe I've forgotten all the drama now that I'm enjoying the finished project